Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana’s Bantam weight champion Joseph King Kong Agbeko has declared war on Abner Mares ahead of the most anticipated final of the Bantam weight tournament.
King Kong whipped Yohnny Perez in the semi-final; whilst Mares downed Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan to set up an uncompromising prize fight finale on April 23, 2011 in Los Angeles, US.
On his media workout at John’s Boxing Gym in Bronx, N.Y. captured on fightnews.com, Joseph Agbeko made his intentions clear on a bout set only for the best of the division.
“The fight with Vic was the only war that Mares has been through. I’ve been in a couple of wars, as far as boxing is concerned. No disrespect to [Mares] but I think I’m the better fighter. Against him, I’ve got better skills. There’s [no] way that he can go through me,” he said.
“The winner of this fight is the best bantamweight in the world, of course! Ya know, this tournament was open to everybody – all the greatest fighters at bantamweight. The tough fought. We were brave enough to make the decision to fight in the tournament and that shows that we are the best fighters at bantamweight. So the winner of this tournament becomes the best bantamweight in the world"
Agbeko minced no words in touting his credentials as a boxer, a gifted one at that- one destined to be king in the ring and whose name-Joseph King Kong Agbeko-bares testimony.
“Joseph King Kong Agbeko is not my nickname. It’s an original name. It’s my birth name. I think my dad had a vision of something. My dad gave me the name “King Kong” as I was born. It’s my real name. It’s on my passport and everything,” he said.
“I’m thinking of moving up to featherweight to take on the big guys. I’m thinking of Gamboa, Lopez and I’m thinking of being in the league with them. After this fight, if I don’t get any good competition then I’m going to move to featherweight. I want to fight them. I want to prove to the world that I’m the best,” he added.
Story by Nathan Gadugah/Myjoyonline.com/Ghana
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
4 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
18 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
42 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
42 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
43 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours