Actress Lashana Lynch has been tapped by Netflix to star in a movie musical adaptation of ‘Matilda’.
According to Variety, Lynch will star as Miss Honey, Matilda’s supportive teacher, who encourages her and her powers. Lynch broke out in Hollywood with her role in the Marvel superhero film, Captain Marvel, playing Maria Rambeau.
The Netflix musical is based on the 19996 classic feature film which follows 5-year-old Matilda telekinesis powers to stand up against bullies at school including her principal, Miss Agatha.
Already reaching monumental success after transitioning into a stage production in 2010, Matilda the Musical, has earned seven 2012 Olivier Awards and five Tony Awards in 2013.
The 33-year-old actress most recently landed a major role in the new James Bond movie No Time to Die, which will reportedly hit theaters April 2021.
In a 2020 interview with Harper’s Bazaar UK, Lynch talked about how she prepared herself emotionally for potential racist backlash over the announcement.
She also claims she shut off social media and reminded herself that the disgusting comments were not about her personally.
“I am one Black woman, if it were another black woman cast in the role, it would have been the same conversation, she would have got the same attacks, the same abuse,” Lynch said.
“I just have to remind myself that the conversation is happening and that I’m a part of something that will be very, very revolutionary.”
- Missing pregnant woman in Takoradi found at Axim
- Female prayer warrior leaves church to marry fetish priest
- ‘We’re tired of directionless leadership’ – #FixTheCountry protester
- Milo will need a miracle to qualify Ghana for Qatar 2022 – John Paintsil
- Ablakwa to file another urgent question in Parliament over Akufo-Addo’s ‘extravagant’ foreign trips
- Tamale residents accuse Police of assault over illegal electrical connections
- Fugees announce reunion tour, Ghana listed among countries
- Ghanaians celebrate first president with #KwameNkrumahMemorialDay
- Abibata Shanni Mahama Zakariah is new MASLOC CEO
- Peace Council presents report to National Security about marginalised residents of Volta Region
Yaw Mensah: The mining sector in Ghana – an economic driver that could be improved
Tree Crops Development Authority won’t set prices – CEO clarifies
Ghanaba passed mantle to me; I’m passing it on to Epixode – Amandzeba
Cashew stakeholders call for research into developing new and improved cashew variant
Seth Tekper: Is government treating exceptional IMF SDR flows as appendix footnote?
Today’s front pages: Wednesday, September 22, 2021
Peugeot Landtrek Double Cabin 4×4 vehicle launched; assembling of Peugeot vehicles in Ghana to begin in March 2022
COCOBOD to sign $1.5 billion Syndication Loan for 2021/2022 cocoa season
Joy Business partners Canada-Ghana Chamber of Commerce to strengthen trade ties
Only vaccinated Ghanaians can travel to France without PCR test, quarantines – French Ambassador
Police deny NPP executives’ bail request for 12 arrested protestors in North East Region
Police interdicts 4 officers who assaulted Tamale residents over illegal connection
Hasten SDGs implementation to build fairer, prosperous world – Akufo-Addo urges leaders
Fugees announce reunion tour, Ghana listed among countries
12 arrested over violence at Chereponi after release of MMDCE nominees list