Audio By Carbonatix
Officials in India have "arrested" 18 lions as they try to find a man eater suspected of killing three people.
Forest officials in Gujarat state will test the lions' prints and excrement in an attempt to identify the killer.
The "guilty lion" will be kept in a zoo for life while the others will be released back into the Gir sanctuary, the officials told BBC Hindi.
Six attacks on humans have been reported recently near the sanctuary, the only habitat of the Asiatic lion.
Gujarat's top forest official, JA Khan, said that the lions had been "arrested" over the past two months and were now being held in separate cages while tests were carried out.
"We think we have pinpointed the guilty lion, but we are still awaiting the results of nine more animals," he said.


Wildlife expert Ruchi Dave told the BBC that the "tests" involved studying the pug marks and faecal matter of the lions.
"The officials are also studying the animals' behaviour. Man eating lions usually get aggressive at the sight of a human being," she said.
Another wildlife expert Revtubha Raizada said the man-eating lion would be caged for the rest of its life, as it was too unsafe to release it back into the wild.
Some experts feel that the thriving lion population in Gir forest is to blame for the "unusual" behaviour by the lions.
Govind Patel, the former chief wildlife warden of Gujarat, told the Indian Express newspaper that Gir could accommodate only 270 lions, forcing some prides to settle outside the boundaries of the sanctuary.
India's Supreme Court has ruled that Gujarat needed to relocate some of its lions to other states to avoid the possibility of disease or other disaster wiping out the entire population.
However the state has expressed reluctance and has not yet complied with the order.
Latest Stories
-
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
11 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
14 minutes -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
18 minutes -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
21 minutes -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
28 minutes -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
43 minutes -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
53 minutes -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
60 minutes -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
1 hour -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
1 hour -
GRIDCo restores power nationwide after August 20 blackout, says grid strengthening measures ongoing
1 hour -
Journalism must prioritise public interest over attention — Kwesi Pratt
2 hours -
Ghana Mineworkers Union demand suspension of contract mining directive, threaten industrial action
2 hours -
ADB Ghana Medicals constructing and equipping new Cardiothoracic Centre at Komfo Anokye
2 hours -
AFREIKH Summer School challenges Africa to harness critical minerals
3 hours