Lisa Raye was crowned queen mother of Kyidom Traditional Area. The enstoolment ceremony was held yesterday, the day before her birthday, at the Cicada Restaurant and Club in downtown Los Angeles.
Enstoolment, or installation, is one of the last great African tribal traditions. It was started in the 17th Century by the Ashanti people of Ghana. McCoy will reign over Ghana’s Central Region.
The Chicago native earned her new regal title for her humanitarian efforts over the years and was handpicked by the Paramount Chief of Agona Kwanyako, the chiefs, and the entire Kyidom Traditional Divisional Councils.
“This honor is beyond my wildest imagination,” she said. “I plan to do all that I can by using my platform to bring positive attention to this region. I will serve humbly.”
The actress continued, “I’ve had lots of accomplishments in my life, personally and professionally, but I didn’t get to this point alone. It’s taken a great team of people along the way.
“To have such an honor bestowed upon me by my own African people is a testament to my hard work and character. It’s like a dream coming true before my very eyes.”
Queen Mothers have a lot of influence and social power over the local government.
Lisa Raye is no stranger to being the head woman in charge.
She is the former First Lady of Turks and Caicos from a previous marriage. So she’s more than ready to assume her royal position.
- Moody’s downgrades Ghana to further junk status, warns investors could lose in debt restructuring
- Organised Labour rejects 18% salary increment
- “We’ve been tracking Mohammed Kudus for more than one year” – Barcelona Director
- Qatar 2022: “Kudus is currently the World Cup best player” – Prince Boateng
- Ronaldo receives $225m offer to play for Saudi Arabian club
- Minority welcomes government’s decision to reintroduce road toll in 2023
- Some OMCs start reducing fuel prices, GOIL down by 3.5%
- Ato Forson calls out ministers and MPs for abandoning 2023 budget to watch football in Qatar
- ‘Insulting’ Ashanti Regional NSS Boss to appear before Committee of Inquiry
- 2023 Budget: TUC rejects government’s salary projection of ₵44.9m
- National Queen Mothers Platform joins fight against illegal mining
- Defer interest payments and pay principals – Prof. Peprah
- Harmattan Season: Wildfires destroy food crops in North-East Region
- NHIA opens new office at Mion
- Second Lady calls for comprehensive development of children
- Include persons with mental health conditions in immunization programmes – MindFreedom Ghana to GHS
- Ofori-Atta has more integrity than 99% of politicians – Prof. Stephen Adei
- Directors of ‘The Woman King’ auditioned me for a role – Prince David Osei
- Government’s management of economy commendable – Prof Adei
- Supreme Court dismisses suit against GRA’s pay 30% before challenging Act
- If your music penetrates China, then you have done enough as an artiste – Kuami Eugene
- Playback: PM Express discuss Moody’s further downgrade of Ghana to junk status
- Chamber of Telecommunications outlines services to be affected by SIM deactivation
- Ernest Kojo Manu: Bumpy roads, illegal speed ramps posing serious threat to safety of road users
- Single spine is the most indecent salary structure – TUC