Audio By Carbonatix
Nani has been included in Portugal's World Cup squad despite an injury-hit season during which he made only 12 appearances for Manchester United. Portugal's coach, Paulo Bento, on Monday announced the 23-man squad he will take to Brazil, with the main surprise being the choice of the Braga midfielder Rafa, who has just one cap.
Nani has had a disappointing year because of injuries and poor form but Bento said the 27-year-old winger has shaken off the problems that helped keep him sidelined. "Nani had a problem up until March but he's improved and he's been training normally since then," he said.
He said he picked the 21-year-old Rafa because he can play either in midfield or attack. Rafa has previously played half a friendly game against Cameroon.
Cristiano Ronaldo, who has recently had injury problems at Real Madrid, will be assessed by the Portuguese medical team after Saturday's Champions League final against Atlético Madrid in Lisbon, Bento said.
"We will work out a plan to get him ready in time for the World Cup," Bento said.
The midfielder William Carvalho, regarded as one of Portugal's promising newcomers, was also included. Like Ronaldo and Nani, Carvalho is a product of Sporting Lisbon's youth academy. He has made two appearances for Portugal.
Bento has selected just two members of the Benfica team that won the domestic treble in Portugal, picking the defender André Almeida and midfielder Ruben Amorim.
Squad
Goalkeepers: Beto (Sevilla), Eduardo (Braga), Rui Patrício (Sporting).
Defenders: Andre Almeida (Benfica), Bruno Alves (Fenerbahce), Fabio Coentrao (Real Madrid), Joao Pereira (Valencia), Neto (Zenit St Petersburg), Pepe (Real Madrid), Ricardo Costa (Valencia).
Midfielders: Joao Moutinho (Monaco), Miguel Veloso (Dynamo Kiev), Raul Meireles (Fenerbahce), Ruben Amorim (Benfica), William Carvalho (Sporting Lisbon), Rafa (Braga).
Forwards: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Eder (Braga), Helder Postiga (Lazio), Hugo Almeida (Besiktas), Nani (Manchester United), Varela (FC Porto), Vieirinha (Wolfsburg).
Latest Stories
-
Mining must improve lives in host communities, not just national figures – Presidency
6 minutes -
Nigeria influencer arrested after seizure of cocaine worth $28m destined for the UK
21 minutes -
Gender Minister inspects nutrition training for School Feeding caterers in Northern Region
22 minutes -
GoldBod to fund rehabilitation of six water treatment plants affected by mining
27 minutes -
ORC challenges CSA cybersecurity sanction, says penalty was premature and procedurally unfair
29 minutes -
GoldBod to introduce gold traceability system by end of 2026 – Sammy Gyamfi
36 minutes -
Photos: Eleventh batch of Ghanaian evacuees arrive from South Africa
37 minutes -
GETFund explains mandate as EFPI expands partnerships to support Ghana’s education sector
42 minutes -
US$4.8bn SME financing gap exposes Ghana’s credit challenge — A call for swift implementation of open banking, open finance reforms
45 minutes -
Ghana is open to responsible mining, investment – Minerals Commission
51 minutes -
Driver busted with cocaine at Accra International Airport
53 minutes -
GoldBod to launch digital gold platform for Ghanaians, Africans
59 minutes -
NPP will reinstate Torkornoo when we return to power – Afenyo-Markin hints
1 hour -
We’ll establish a Gold Village in Accra next year – Sammy Gyamfi
1 hour -
Many Canadians are boycotting the US, so this is where they’re travelling instead
1 hour