The Hohoe District Chief Executive, Mr. John Peter Amewu, has said the district was preparing for the take-off of the Millennium Challenge Account projects in the area.
Consequently, he said the Hohoe District Out-growers Association had registered as a co-operate body and acquired 1,000 hectares of land at Fodome and Have in the area.
Mr. Amewu told the GNA at Hohoe that the district was undertaking an environmental impact assessment procedure as a prelude and conditionality for the project.
He said over 60 groups have been identified to produce mangoes, pineapples and vegetables under the MCA.
Mr. Amewu said a farmer-based organisation of 97 members was into crop and livestock production, processing and marketing in the district with support from the Ministry of Food and Agriculture.
He said under the Livestock Development Project, other groups have accessed micro-credit facility totaling ¢508 million with a recovery rate of 35.9 percent.
The DCE said six farmer-based organisations in the district were benefiting from a ¢206 million Food and Agriculture Budgetary Support credit facility.
Mr. Amewu said this would enable members to undertake the cultivation of rice, maize, vegetables and the processing of palm kernel and palm oils and the rearing of pigs.
He said seven groups were also being supported with ¢635 million grant, under the European Development Fund to produce and process rice, cassava, oil palm and vegetables.
On the New Rice for Africa project, Mr. Amewu said 2,460 farmers have been educated on the production of the new breed and that about 20 tonnes of seed rice would be released for cultivation, this year.
He said 17 feeder road network of about 88.8 kilometres have been identified for improvement within the major rice producing areas in the district to facilitate the transportation of rice and other agriculture produce to the market centres.
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- Mankessim murder: Accused persons allegedly confess to killing 2 more people
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- My husband left me for a ‘sugar mummy’ after 9 months of marriage – Woman shares experience
- Cedi registers unprecedented weekly decline in trading as dollar demand surges
- 2 sustain gunshot wounds at mining firm in Samreboi
- Let’s build capacities of SMEs to harness full potential of e-commerce – GIZ
- DVLA to increase charges effective October 3
- Blunt thoughts: Shady contracts, a broken economy and Akufo-Addo being booed – Writings on the Wall?
- Take risk; do not be afraid to fail – Kofi Amoabeng to youth
- ‘Everything was working well for me in 2010’ – Asamoah Gyan on best year of his career
- Eddie Cudjoe: Optimising electricity use for business profitability
- In pictures: Tears flow as murdered nurse applicant’s body arrives in her hometown
- First trailer for Johnny Depp and Amber Heard trial movie ‘Hot Take’ Drops
- Halt operations in Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve – Lands Ministry tells Chairman ‘Wontumi”s mining company
- Illegal mining, lack of fertilisers risk undercutting 2022/2023 cocoa yields in Ghana – Redd Intelligence
- Increase Producer Price of cocoa to ¢838 to alleviate farmers plight – GCCP
- Shut door on Ghanaians having Ghana card but yet to re-register SIM card – Communications Ministry urged
- Meghan Markle wanted to live in Windsor Castle and be seen as a princess, royal expert claims
- Nespresso premieres new boutique concept in Accra at Marina Mall
- GRA to sanction staff and officers complicit in smuggling at borders