It has emerged that the National Lottery Authority (NLA) has failed to pay big ticket wins since April, last year, leaving winners in total misery and financial difficulties.
The situation has made many customers to move away from the NLA’s 5/90 games and rather patronising the banker-to-banker lottery, which is affecting the revenue of not only NLA but incomes of NLA lotto marketers.
Jacob Odame, Public Relations Officer of Lotto Marketers Association in the Northern Region, who stated this at a press conference in Tamale on Tuesday, lamented that “Registered tickets for big wins have been pending for payment since April 2020. The winners are waiting to be paid but the NLA has failed to pay them.”
Mr Odame added that “There is also the issue of non-payment of wins at various banks, which is becoming a problem for our customers discouraging them from staking national lottery 5/90 games and rather staking banker-to-banker.”
He said “Another problem, which is killing the business is we have what we call *959#590 mobile game. This game, we don’t know who is behind it. All the 590 games are on the mobile phone for people to patronise.
“This has rendered we those accredited members of the NLA jobless because we sit in the kiosks from morning to evening and no one comes to stake lotto.”
He spoke about payment of commissions to lotto marketers, saying for the past three months, payment of commissions, which was usually done within a week into the new month, was now delaying for more than three weeks.
He said there was also an issue of shortage of paper roll for almost a year saying “Without paper roll, we can’t operate. We have complained but Management of NLA failed to address it and it’s affecting our business.”
Mr Odame appealed to the Minister of Finance to do something about the situation calling for a forensic investigation into the mobile lotto business and to stop it to safeguard their livelihoods.
- Celebrities, luxury cars flood social media as Kwame Despite sparks reaction with birthday
- New Jersey Councilwoman Eunice Dwumfour shot dead outside home in ‘despicable criminal act’
- I couldn’t attend PRESEC-Legon because our cocoa farm got burnt – Seth Terkper
- There is no biometric record of Victor Kusi Boateng in our database – NIA tells Ablakwa
- I feel pain after sex with my husband of 9 years, I don’t know how to tell him – Emotionally troubled woman
- West Hills Mall death: Shop manager remanded
- Military officers rescue NEDCo staff locked up for disconnecting UDS from power supply
- NIA’s statement affirms issuing Ghana Card in the name of Kwabena Adu Gyamfi – Ablakwa
- Bawku is a complete war zone – Security analyst
- It is unreasonable for Opuni’s case to drag on for 6 years – Attorney General
- Man admits treason charge over Queen crossbow threat
- Samsung unveils new Galaxy S23 Series
- Concerned UG Students embark on ‘Ya Br3 Mo’ Demo
- Check out Akufo-Addo’s reaction as Black Sherif performs for him
- We do not have BoG forex rates, what we publish are indicative – 1st Deputy Governor
- Watch Akufo-Addo dance with Zanetor Rawlings
- Ghana Armed Forces deny allegations of killings in Bawku
- ‘I don’t want to think I’m powerful’ – Ameyaw Debrah
- ‘Partey is still a doubt for the Everton game’ – Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta
- Jihadists may have infiltrated Bawku – Upper East Regional Minister
- Krobea Asante violent disturbances: 43 suspects granted bail
- Security experts advise risk assessment to avert reprisals at Kofrom
- Schools in Tema yet to receive JHS Two textbooks – GNAT
- Use Mid-Year Budget Review to cut expenditure to complement DDEP – Prof. Mensah
- It’s time to turn the chapter – Kamaldeen Sulemana on Southampton move