Audio By Carbonatix
The government has directed National Security to investigate alleged threats by some youth to blow up oil facilities in the Western Region.
The former Energy Minister Boakye Agyarko had alleged during agitations against the Ghana-US Military Cooperation deal earlier this year, of a plot to blow up oil facilities in the region if government goes through with the deal.
According to Mr Agyarko, some disgruntled politicians had engaged the youth of the area to cause disaffection for the operators of the oilfields, similar to what happens in other jurisdictions like Nigeria.
Former Energy Minister, Boakye Agyarko
He made these statements in Houston, Texas, USA, at a meeting with some oil companies on the side-lines of the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC).
The Minister was unable to name the so-called politicians who were instigating the youth before he left office.
But the Minority is still demanding answers regardless. They want to know who the youth are and they want the politicians the former minister referred to, revealed.
They have already said that if Mr Agyarko’s allegations are left unsubstantiated, it will go down in history “as the most reckless, unpatriotic, self-destructive and treacherous statements ever made by a Cabinet Minister against Ghana’s economic progress and national interest.”
However, in Parliament on Thursday, as Joy News’ Joseph Opoku Gakpo reports, a former Energy Minister under the John Mahama administration, Emmanuel Buah, questioned what was being done to avert the situation if indeed it was true.
The Energy Minister, Peter Amewu in his response said the Ministry was aware of the situation and steps are being taken to address it.
“Mr Speaker owing to the sensitivities surrounding this very important matter and taking into consideration its national security implication, the Ministry of Energy as part of its strategies for remedial actions, is liaising with the National Security Secretariat for a coordinated effort in dealing with the matter effectively and efficiently.
“We shall revert to this august House with a full briefing on this matter once our investigations are concluded,” he added.
The House has agreed to wait for a proper briefing from the Minister.
Latest Stories
-
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
2 minutes -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
4 minutes -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
5 minutes -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
10 minutes -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
18 minutes -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
40 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
42 minutes -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
1 hour -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
3 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
4 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
4 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
4 hours