The CEO of Jospong Group of Companies appears to be courting a lot of support and commendation from persons who matter the most in the society.
Despite the various allegations of corruption and extortion leveled against him, Joseph Siaw Agyepong has been described by former president John Agyekum Kufuor as a businessman worthy to emulate.
The former president said the Zoomlion boss should be prosecuted if he has flouted any law, adding that until that is done he is an example a successful entrepreneur.
The Jospong Group of Companies is being investigated for inflating costs of some contracts it executed under the erstwhile John Dramani Mahama administration.
An investigation by Joy News’ Manasseh Azure Awuni revealed how a contract signed between the Ministry of Local Government and the Group was inflated by GHS130 million.
But speaking at the inauguration of the Ghana Job Bank Initiative, where the two-term president was named as a patron, Mr Kufuor said, “Mr Agyepong organized and employed lots of people (to rid the country of filth) and now Zoomlion is a household name.”
“Saying this is not saying we are blind to some of the drawbacks, no! The law should be there to deal with people who really go astray. We are a nation or government of rule of law…but we are talking about the creativity of industry, wealth and employment.”
Last year President Akufo-Addo during a tour of Zoomlion’s recycling plant, also encouraged Mr Agyepong to continue with his work.
The President reminded him that being in the forefront comes with controversy, adding that he is confident Mr Agyepong is capable of handling the controversy.
The President drew a barrage of condemnation from the civil society including the Ghana Integrity Initiative (GII).
Following the comments, the Senior Minister Yaw Osafo Maafo questioned his approval of the activities of the Chairman of the Jospong Group of Companies.
Former president John Mahama has also on several occasions openly endorsed Jospong's exploits and touted his extraordinary business acumen.
Listen to the audio:
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach