A 33-year old unemployed Nigerian, Obinna Mba, who defiled a 12-year-old girl at Nungua, has been sentenced to seven years imprisonment by an Accra Circuit Court.
This was after the court found him guilty on the charge of defilement at the end of the trial.
The court presided over by Rita Abrokwah Doko, ordered the deportation of Mba to Nigeria after he had served his sentence.
Prosecuting, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Agnes Boafo, narrated that the complainant is the mother of the victim. The victim, mother and Mba resided in the same vicinity at Nungua in Accra.
DSP Boafo said in August, last year, Mba’s sister sent the victim to collect some sacks at her shop so she could pack some plantain leaves into them.
On reaching the shop, she met Mba, who lured her into the shop and had sex with her. After the act, Mba warned the victim not to disclose the act to anyone else she would die.
Prosecution said due to fear, the victim kept the ordeal to herself.
However, Mba became so close to the victim afterwards and her mother became suspicious of their relationship.
When the victim’s mother questioned her over the said relationship, the victim let the cat out of the bag and a report was made to the Domestic Violence and Victim’s Support Unit, Nungua.
The complainant was issued with a medical form to seek medical attention for the victim and based on the report, the police arrested Mba.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Kindergarten pupil dies after falling in septic tank
- Chinese suspect in banned Rosewood trade re-arrested
- Asantehene destools second chief in a week
- NSMQ2019: How St Ignatius used 'Problem of the Day' to kick out a seeded school
- Pepsodent supports SOS Children Village Founder’s Day
- March to decriminalise marijuana gets EFL support
- Zongo chief takes on UEW Vice Chancellor over discord at university
- Over 98% of ABFA cash pumped into free SHS in 2018 – Report
- Why you will pay 18.1% more for water
- Multimedia Group's Richard Kwadwo Nyarko selected as Africa fact-checking fellow
- Newspaper headlines: Tuesday, June 25, 2019
- Aggressive seagulls keep couple hostage in their own home for six days
- Video: Meet Sarafina, the 16-year-old anti-child marriage campaigner
- Paris planning flying taxis by 2024
- NSMQ2019 one-eighth stage: Day 1 thrills as KSTS, Porters are sent packing