Audio By Carbonatix
The National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) on Wednesday said it has released a total of 128,578,851.00 Ghana cedis to the various health insurance schemes in the country for payment of claims between January and May 2009.
A statement signed by Mr Ras Boateng, Chief Executive of the Authority said it represented the highest release per similar periods since the inception of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
It said in releasing funds to the districts schemes for the payment of claims, the NHIA had to ensure that the existing financial management structures were adhered to, to protect the taxpayers’ money.
It said as far as the Authority was concerned it had been proactive in the release of funds to districts schemes for the payment of claims especially after considering the due diligence conducted before the release of the funds.
“Because of the unequal utilization of health services from district to district, the law allows schemes to file for re-insurance with the Authority anytime they are not able to honour claims payment with their available resources.”
The Authority expressed surprise at recent media reports that suggested that operations of some NHIS accredited facilities were almost grinding to a halt as a result of non-payment of medical claims.
“This comes against the backdrop of huge financial releases made to the various schemes operating under the NHIS since January this year.”
The statement explained that as was the approved practice, the Authority releases quarterly subsidies to the various schemes which were added to the premiums collected at the district level to pay claims submitted by providers.
The Authority assured its stakeholders about its commitment to the sustainability of the NHIS and will do all within its power to ensure that schemes are paid moneys that they were entitled to.
It stated that in order to better serve providers within the NHIS, the Authority would appreciate feedback from them in case schemes failed to honour their obligations to them and advised that the media should not be used for matters that could be resolved administratively.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
FET Auto introduces full GAC vehicle lineup to Ghanaian market
7 minutes -
Parliament must summon GRIDCo, Energy Minister over recurring blackouts – Adomako-Mensah
8 minutes -
Temporary control room leaves Ghana’s power system vulnerable — Energy Ministry
10 minutes -
Ghana’s NGOs should strengthen local government, not replace it
15 minutes -
Former Liberian vice-president charged in drug-trafficking probe
24 minutes -
Mahama targets 700 Saglemi housing units for completion by March 2027
37 minutes -
Titus-Glover campaign team members injured in accident near Dambai
51 minutes -
Eight projects win €2m Ghana grants for vaccine and drug research
1 hour -
Ghana steps up Ebola surveillance amid rising cases in Africa
1 hour -
Acting Rent Control Commissioner directs landlords, hostel operators to issue rent cards
1 hour -
Nsawam Prison to host Teacher Licensure Examination for inmates for first time
1 hour -
IES demands stronger safeguards amid temporary Akosombo power arrangement
1 hour -
Four workers dead after being hit by train in Japan
2 hours -
Fact-check: Did GoldBod make a loss in 2025? Here’s what the records show
2 hours -
Rev. Adzraku Kevi calls for more women in leadership
2 hours