Audio By Carbonatix
The National Health Insurance Council (NHIC) has said the backlog of health insurance identification cards that were cleared in the Greater Accra region will soon be issued to their owners.
The Council, which by law is not responsible for registration and issuance of cards, intervened to clear the backlog because of the increased demand for the cards in the face of limited resources the various districts’ schemes were having.
Speaking at a media briefing in Accra on the update of the implementation of the decentralisation of the national health insurance scheme, Ras Boateng, the Executive Secretary of the Council said there were 1,281,525 identification cards which were yet to be cleared.
He explained that an Information Technology firm was contracted to print all the outstanding cards for the various schemes.
He noted that a total of 7,673,998 Ghanaians representing 38 per cent from both the informal sector and exempt category, were registered with the district health insurance schemes but only 152,651 cards were printed.
Mr Boateng assured Ghanaians who have registered but have still not received their cards that they have not lost the validity of their cards and that, "you will still have your one year validity period and this will start from the day the card will be issued."
He explained that cards from the collection points, which were about to expire would be sent back to the schemes for renewal before they would be issued to their various owners and that the exercise would be completed within some few months.
He noted that the scheme has achieved a good measure of success within its three years of establishment compared to similar schemes operating in countries like Tanzania, Nigeria and other countries like Britain and Germany.
"We are proud to note that health officials from Ethiopia last year visited Ghana to study our scheme and officials from Nigeria and Uganda are scheduled to visit us this year for the same purpose".
Mr Boateng appealed to those who have still not received their cards to exercise restraint whilst efforts were being made to clear the entire backlog.
Source: ghanadistricts
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Chief of Staff calls for stronger enforcement of motorcycle safety measures
17 minutes -
Peace Council urges Naaga residents to report extremist activities
18 minutes -
Ghana hosts Africa CDC regional meeting on strengthening health security
19 minutes -
MTN Ghana deepens sustainability drive with focus on waste, digital inclusion
20 minutes -
AMA deploys taskforce to clamp down on drivers charging unapproved fares
21 minutes -
House of Hope receives clothing donation for human trafficking survivors
22 minutes -
KNUST statutes review sparks tensions as some UTAG members threaten strike
23 minutes -
Poor website accessibility could exclude persons with disabilities from essential services
29 minutes -
Internet Society Ghana trains persons with disabilities on digital accessibility
32 minutes -
National Service Authority receives GH¢40m for basic military training
35 minutes -
Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months
2 hours -
Togo detains two French journalists and their Togolese fixer
2 hours -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
2 hours -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
2 hours -
GIPA invites investors to maiden ‘Invest Ghana Summit’
2 hours