Audio By Carbonatix
Nigeria's government is suspending Twitter operations in the country "indefinitely", the country's information minister has announced.
The ban is due to "the persistent use of the platform for activities... capable of undermining Nigeria's corporate existence", according to a statement released on Friday.
It comes just days after a tweet by President Muhammadu Buhari was removed for breaching the site's rules.
The statement did not mention the row.
Information Minister Lai Mohammed previously criticised the US social media giant's decision, calling it "double standards".
The site - which was still available to users in Nigeria following Friday's announcement - removed a tweet sent by the president on 1 June.
It referred to the 1967-70 Nigerian Civil War and to treating "those misbehaving today" in "the language they will understand".
A Twitter spokesperson said the post "was in violation of the Twitter Rules. The account owner will be required to delete the violative Tweet and spend 12 hours with their account in read-only mode". The statement gave no further details.
There were no details on how Nigeria's ban would work in practice in Friday's statement, or any explanation of how Twitter had undermined Nigeria's corporate existence.
The statement also revealed that the national broadcasting regulator, NBC, has been told to start "the process of licensing all OTT [internet streaming services] and social media operations in Nigeria".
Latest Stories
-
Take post-flood disinfection seriously to prevent disease outbreaks – Environmental Health Officer backs Zoomlion
2 minutes -
Zoomlion launches fumigation exercise across 14 MMDAs in Western Region
9 minutes -
UTAG-KNUST votes to retain elections for Pro-Vice Chancellors and Deans
14 minutes -
Newsfile to discuss nationwide blackouts, GoldBod controversy, galamsey and water quality
17 minutes -
Adamus must settle GRA, MIIF and financial institutions liabilities under new turnaround roadmap
37 minutes -
Big Chef Season Five returns with Gari Fotor Challenge this Sunday
49 minutes -
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
59 minutes -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
1 hour -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
2 hours -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Kadjebi-Asato SHS holds off Ahantaman Girls’ SHS to book one-eighth spot
2 hours -
The Law 101: A critique of the injunction ruling for trials in the legal vacation
2 hours -
Don’t be an agent of misinformation — Opoku Mensah warns Education Minister’s spokesperson
2 hours -
TanoBoase Sacred Grove: Dzifa Gomashie pledges year-end commissioning as eco-tourism gem awaits revival
2 hours -
AK24 Entertainment makes history with sold-out ‘R2Bees Live in Ohio’ concert
2 hours