Audio By Carbonatix
Oscar De La Hoya isn't stepping back into the ring, even if it's for a potential rematch against Floyd Mayweather.
Hours after pound-for-pound king Mayweather said he'd put his 48-0 record on the line against longtime nemesis De La Hoya, the Golden Boy took to social media to say he is happily retired.
"I'm happy, I'm content, I'm never coming back," De La Hoya said in an Instagram post titled "Split Decision."
"I'm going to continue growing Golden Boy [Promotions]."
De La Hoya, 42, hasn't fought since a December 2008 loss to Manny Pacquiao, officially retiring four months later.
But in a radio interview earlier this month, he admitted he constantly thinks about returning to the ring, saying: "There's not one day that passes by that I [don't] think about making a comeback."
And if he did return? "If I did make a comeback, I'd want to fight the very best," he said.
Prompted by those words, Mayweather decided to call out De La Hoya.
"Oscar ... He's coming back," Mayweather said in an interview posted by BlackSportsOnline on Wednesday. "I mean if he wants to, we can rock 'n' roll in the same gym. ... He said he wanted a rematch, so if Oscar wants it, he can get it."
Mayweather and De La Hoya fought just once, in May 2007, with Mayweather earning a split-decision win for the WBC 154-pound title.
"Our first fight had a rematch clause," De La Hoya said in the Instagram post. "It had to take place within the year. He retired in a year and one day."

There's been no love lost between the camps.
After Mayweather beat Pacquiao in a May megafight critiqued by many for its lack of action, De La Hoya tweeted: "Call me old school but I like the fans getting their money's worth by watching an action packed fight."
De La Hoya's Golden Boy Promotions, meanwhile, announced in May that it hasfiled a federal lawsuit seeking $300 million against Al Haymon, who manages Mayweather. The suit alleges Haymon and his various business entities, among others, have repeatedly violated antitrust laws and the Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act.
Mayweather, 38, has one fight remaining on his Showtime contract and has stated several times that he intends to retire after a final fight in September.
-
Latest Stories
-
India’s clean energy leadership in green hydrogen
3 minutes -
Ghana’s Road Safety Crisis: We must move from reaction to prevention
5 minutes -
Duncan-Williams urges Church to educate Ghanaians on dangers of galamsey and gold smuggling
16 minutes -
New Defence Minister pledges technology-led defence posture
21 minutes -
India and Africa: Relations beyond rhetorics
23 minutes -
Top Zambian opposition figures arrested days after presidential vote
24 minutes -
‘I’m not against enforcing the law’ – Archbishop Duncan-Williams defends call for prayer against galamsey, gold smuggling
29 minutes -
Tantalus or Triumph? Ghana and the Harvest of Economic Recovery
37 minutes -
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
59 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
1 hour -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
1 hour -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
4 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
4 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
4 hours