Audio By Carbonatix
A migrant has been rescued, and 50 others are feared drowned after a boat sank in the Mediterranean, officials said on Sunday.
The man had been in the sea for 24 hours and said he believed everyone else on the vessel had died, according to the Alarm Phone group, which runs an emergency hotline for migrants.
The boat had come from Tunisia, it added, a common departure point for migrants risking the dangerous journey to reach Europe.
The man was rescued by a merchant ship off Tunisia and brought to Malta for medical treatment, Malta's armed forces said. They and Alarm Phone did not say when the man was rescued.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
2 minutes -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
10 minutes -
Photos: EPA busts 14 containers of illegal mining machines at Tema Port
15 minutes -
Harmonious Chorale to represent Africa in Poland and Sweden as it kicks off 20th-anniversary celebrations
16 minutes -
We can’t wait forever for AfCFTA – AGI demands alternative regional trade access
19 minutes -
The Drama of Cocoa politics: When farmers become puppets
20 minutes -
CSIR-BRRI advocates use of local materials in production to reduce cement prices
22 minutes -
Three miners killed in rock collapse at Gbane
44 minutes -
Awudome, Osu cemeteries not full — Managers
46 minutes -
Africa’s grand stage of honour: Why Ghana hosts POTY 2026
53 minutes -
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ‘cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents
1 hour -
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
1 hour -
Government assures public of stable ‘fugu’ prices amid Wednesday-wearing policy
1 hour -
Ghana on track for full-scale tomato production by year-end – Deputy Agric Minister
1 hour -
Danny Addo to host Undignified 1.0 event and album launch
1 hour
