Eleven Ghanaian boxers have been eliminated at the African Boxing tournament, with one still in contention for a slot at the 2023 Olympic Games in Paris.
Wednesday’s defeats suffered by Ornella Sathoud, Joseph Commey and Jonathan Tetteh add up to the already eight ousted from the qualifying event in Dakar, Senegal.
Theophilus Kpakpo Allotey is the only boxer remaining after getting past his Uganda opponent, Fathia Shafik Mawanda in the men’s flyweight division.
Allotey will face Ala Eddine Zidi in the semi-finals at 5pm on Thursday.
“He [Allotey] has come this far and he stands the chance of making it for Ghana, qualify to the final and win the final fight,” the team’s media officer, Joojo Ephson said in an interview with JoySports.
“It will not be that easy against a Tunisian opponent but we trust his resilience, his reflexes and the fortitude he has come so far with.”
The finals for the African boxing tournament is slated for Friday, September 15.
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police arresting protesters without a warrant was unlawful – Inusah Fuseini
- Photos and videos: Protesters hit the street on day 3 of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstration
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- MMALABS signs MoU with Spintex Medical Center to boost quality healthcare
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned