Scores of shops and wooden houses at Abofu in Accra have been razed by a late afternoon fire on Thursday.
According to eyewitness accounts, the fire which burnt down the structures was caused a naked flame from a gas cooker that was in one of the wooden structures.
The eyewitnesses say at least 15 wooden and metal structures were hit by the fire incident that occurred close to the Abofu Presby School.
Hairdressing salons, small shops popularly called 'Provision Stores', and wooden structures that served as homes for some of the affected residents were destroyed in the fire.
“According to reports, the gentlemen whose alleged negligence sparked the inferno immediately absconded to avoid being lynched. Scores of residents who lost almost all their properties were weeping uncontrollably when our news team got to the scene,” reports one online news portal.
Although the Ghana National Fire Service arrived at the scene on time, properties estimated to cost about GHS 1 million were consumed by the raging fire.
Watch photos below.