Audio By Carbonatix
It has now been confirmed that Kumasi Asante Kotoko’s Ivorian import, Ahmed Toure, will serve a four-match ban following his expulsion for fouling goalkeeper Laud Quartey of Accra Hearts of Oak in a 16th week Premier League match at the Robert Mensah Stadium in Cape Coast recently.
This follows Kotoko’s failure to co-operate with the soccer authorities towards identifying the player who actually committed the offence.
According to the Chairman of the Professional League Board (PLB), Mr Welbeck Abra-Appiah, the rules had to apply after Kotoko who had earlier written to contest referee Seidu Bomison’s decision failed to provide the name of the culprit.
While the suspension stands, Kotoko have also been fined ¢1 million in accordance with the FA’s regulations.
In an interview with the Graphic Sports last Wednesday, the PLB boss disclosed that CAF had to be consulted for advice on the issue since there was no provision in the FA regulations which allowed the use of video evidence in determining cases.
“There is nothing like video evidence in the GFA regulations as it pertains in Europe and other parts of the world, and that is why we called on CAF for assistance,” he stressed.
He said it was based on the advice of CAF that Kotoko was impressed upon to provide the name of the player they thought committed the offence.
According to him, Kotoko who wanted Toure to be absolved of the punishment failed to respond appropriately, leaving the PLB with no alternative than to apply the rules.
Mr Abra-Appiah said despite the challenges, the PLB would not relent in its efforts to ensure that Premier League matches were filmed to let sanity prevail.
He revealed that the PLB planned to buy four more video cameras to ensure that all eight league matches were covered. This, if done, will be an improvement over the previous situation where only four cameras were sent round to cover some selected matches.
He also hinted that Metro TV might continue with the live telecast of matches after this weekend’s fixtures after the sponsors, Onetouch, had expressed their displeasure at the kind of coverage given by GTV earlier in the season.
Graphic
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Merck Foundation honours Lordina Mahama as Ambassador for decade of humanitarian impact
5 minutes -
Heath Goldfields’ return brings relief to families in Bogoso-Prestea after two years of hardship
16 minutes -
MTN Ghana rolls out SME Business Clinic in Koforidua to drive digital transformation
29 minutes -
Stakeholders demand demolition of encroaching structures around Wa Airport over rising wildlife threats
34 minutes -
“For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord” – Nduom celebrates court victory
34 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP join forces to advance Tema Industrial Park project
36 minutes -
MTN Ghana calls for reforms to tackle risks facing local businesses
40 minutes -
Minority accuses Foreign Affairs Minister of sidestepping Parliament over foreign agreements
46 minutes -
Trade Minister leads high-level mission to China to woo investors
50 minutes -
Quo Warranto: High Court adjourns OSP’s Stay of Execution application
51 minutes -
Nene James Tetteh Asigbey III
54 minutes -
Sportswear brand On introduces OAC Sprint, its first professional sprint team
55 minutes -
Salaga: Family counts losses after domestic fire outbreak
57 minutes -
Ghana declares ‘Open for Business’ at inaugural Russia-Ghana dialogue in Kazan
1 hour -
CBG launches agency banking drive ‘Sika Agent’, targets 8,000 agents by 2028
2 hours