An unemployed man, who posed as a police officer and swindled three people of GH¢7,650.00, has been sentenced to 18 years imprisonment by the Nkawie Circuit Court.
Kwame Atta, alias Jeff, who collected Gh¢3,650.00 from two of his victims, Daniel Awuah and Francis Afriyie, under the pretext of assisting them to join the Ghana Police Service, pleaded guilty to defrauding by false pretence.
The third person, Jennifer Nyame, girlfriend of Atta, released GH¢4,000.00, following promise by the boy friend to get her a car.
Police Chief Inspector Ekow Hanson told the court presided over by Justice William Boampong that the convict had traveled on a taxi with Jennifer in December last year, from Abuakwa-Maakro to Kwanfinfi in the Atwima-Nwabiagya District.
The court heard that Atta after introducing himself to Nyame as a police officer stationed at Suame in Kumasi, the two became lovers.
Chief Insp. Hanson said Atta frequently visited Nyame at Kwanfinfi, where he came into contact with Awuah, a junior brother Nyame, who expressed interest in joining the police service.
The prosecution said Atta took Gh¢1,400.00 from Awuah and GH¢2,250.00 from Afriyie, with the assurance of getting them recruited into the police.
Chief Insp. Hanson said Atta took GH¢4,000.00. from Nyame and promised to get her a car.
Atta failed to fufil his promise and went into hiding until February 28, when he was arrested at Gyankobaa, dressed in police uniform.
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Asking Special Prosecutor to quit over ‘frustrations’ wrong – Domelevo
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Current Assets Declaration Law is a joke – Domelovo
- Africa World Airlines marks 11th anniversary with exciting passenger rewards and expansion drive
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Roads blocked as protesters march towards Jubilee House
- Cedi remains relatively stable since February 2023; Y-T-D depreciation to dollar stands at 22.5%
- LaLiga: Barcelona beat Celta Vigo after dramatic comeback
- Premier League: Calvert-Lewin helps Everton end winless start against Brentford
- Premier League: Ten-man Man City beat Nottingham Forest despite Rodri red card
- Ghanaian musicians die paupers; GHAMRO, MUSIGA are a mess – D-Black
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor