Former President John Dramani Mahama is questioning why the government is selling fertilizers to cocoa farmers, even though it is supposed to be given to them for free.
He said instead of helping to alleviate the hardship of cocoa farmers, the Akufo-Addo government is making them poorer through its policies and programmes.
Mr. Mahama noted that under the administration of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), cocoa farmers were given free supply of fertilizers, including the yearly increase in producer price of cocoa.
He, therefore, wondered why this government would abandon the free supply of fertilizers to cocoa farmers and rather sell it to them, even though the fertilizer sacks are marked “Not for Sale”.
Mr. Mahama made this known when he addressed separate meetings with NDC delegates at Jinijini, Brekum and Sampa, all in the Brong Ahafo Region on Saturday.
Citing the Gambia-Kyeremansu road, in particular, Mr. Mahama noted that the government has abandoned all the cocoa road projects which were started by his government in the Brong Ahafo Region, emphasising that his government made a deliberate policy to construct major roads in cocoa-growing areas.
Mr. Mahama, therefore, appealed to the government to start working on the abandoned cocoa roads to ease the haulage of cocoa as well as promote the speedy and efficient transportation of goods and services.
Peace in Mo
Meanwhile, the former President has commended the chiefs and people of Mo in the Northern Region, for the peace in the area.
Mr. Mahama was speaking at the Pedia Yam Festival of the Mo people in Bamboi.
The former President also thanked them for their support during his days as the Member of Parliament for Bole Bamboi.
See more photos
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chair leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament
- Luxury vehicle tax inefficient, scrap it in budget review - Minority
- Rawlings on 3-day working visit to Burkina Faso
- Curb your voracious appetite for borrowing – Minority to gov’t
- Gov’t to probe Sir Adjaye's multiple contracts allegations
- Strengthen Ghana’s democratic credentials with ROPAA - Ambassador to EC
- C/R: NPP constituency executives demonstrate against Chairman
- Another police officer resigns to contest for parliamentary seat
- Parliament approves €276m facility for Tamale water project
- Change constitution, cap constituencies - CDD Fellow