Former President John Dramani Mahama is questioning why the government is selling fertilizers to cocoa farmers, even though it is supposed to be given to them for free.
He said instead of helping to alleviate the hardship of cocoa farmers, the Akufo-Addo government is making them poorer through its policies and programmes.
Mr. Mahama noted that under the administration of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), cocoa farmers were given free supply of fertilizers, including the yearly increase in producer price of cocoa.
He, therefore, wondered why this government would abandon the free supply of fertilizers to cocoa farmers and rather sell it to them, even though the fertilizer sacks are marked “Not for Sale”.
Mr. Mahama made this known when he addressed separate meetings with NDC delegates at Jinijini, Brekum and Sampa, all in the Brong Ahafo Region on Saturday.
Citing the Gambia-Kyeremansu road, in particular, Mr. Mahama noted that the government has abandoned all the cocoa road projects which were started by his government in the Brong Ahafo Region, emphasising that his government made a deliberate policy to construct major roads in cocoa-growing areas.
Mr. Mahama, therefore, appealed to the government to start working on the abandoned cocoa roads to ease the haulage of cocoa as well as promote the speedy and efficient transportation of goods and services.
Peace in Mo
Meanwhile, the former President has commended the chiefs and people of Mo in the Northern Region, for the peace in the area.
Mr. Mahama was speaking at the Pedia Yam Festival of the Mo people in Bamboi.
The former President also thanked them for their support during his days as the Member of Parliament for Bole Bamboi.
See more photos
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Reversion to 'original' logo cost less than GHS16,000 – EC boss
- Mahama will be easier to beat in 2020 - Nana Akomea projects
- Sylvester Mensah is intellectually fit for the presidency - NDC Chairman supports
- I'll continue Mills' policy of building party offices - Alabi
- I'll accelerate development if...Sly Mensah pledges
- Work hard, bring NDC back; Sly Mensah to delegates in Eastern Region
- I won't fail you; Prof Alabi tells Ashanti NDC
- "Reduce it again" - 6 NDC presidential aspirants turn Oliver Twist
- Bye-election: 'Unifying' NPP candidate emerges at Ayawaso West Wuogon
- NDC Primaries: Alabi files nomination Monday
- Yellow for Yes, brown for No – EC on new regions referendum
- August 4 soon to be Public Holiday if...
- Controversy brewing: Minority takes issue with GHS100m contract to a 1-yr-old firm
- Remember me on Election Day; Goosie appeals to NDC delegates
- Increase Parliamentary seats from 275 to 300 - Haruna Iddrisu