President Akufo-Addo has chosen Damongo as the capital town for the newly created Savannah region after a short event at the Jubilee House in Accra, Tuesday.
He disclosed this at a ceremony to present Constitutional Instruments (CI116) to give effect to the creation of the North East and Savannah region.
The Minister for Regional Reorganization and Development, Dan Botwe, told Joy News there will be a paradigm shift in development in the newly created regions particularly the North East and Savannah regions which now have their document of attestation.
Mr. Dan Botwe who spearheaded the creation of the new regions says the plan of the administration is to spread development in the region and not centralise government installations in the capital.
The move according to him is to bring government closer to the people.
To achieve that, Mr Botwe added that the Regional Coordinating Council has now been given enough power to take charge of development in the regions.
Damongo is a town and the capital of West Gonja district, a district in the Savannah Region of northern Ghana.
It hosts the overlord of the Gonja Kingdom; the Yagbonwura and it is also the capital, biggest town, in the Damongo Constituency which is represented in Parliament by Adam Mutawakilu.
Damongo boasts of key tourist attractions like the Mole National Park where visitors are assured of seeing a myriad of animals chief among which being elephants.
It also houses the popular tourist site of Larabanga Mosque and Mystic Stone in Larabanga with all the ancient stories surrounding their onset.
Some of the prominent personalities who were either born in or come from Damongo include the former president, John Dramani Mahama; Second Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin; former Defence/Health Minister; Benjamin Kunbuor and the former Presidential candidate of Conventions People’s Party (CPP), Michael Abu Sakara Foster.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Take out party elements from galamsey fight - Baako advises Akufo-Addo
- Osafo-Maafo must apologise for ‘avoidable gaffe’ – Baako
- Akufo-Addo must fire Snr. Minister for exposing Ghana to global ridicule - Former Minister
- Release MASLOC vehicles to GPRTU drivers – Mahama to gov’t
- Senior Minister’s Office clarifies controversial Aisha Huang comments
- Osafo-Maafo's comment fatal blow to galamsey fight - Ken Ashigbey
- Akufo-Addo urges ‘mobilisation of collective energy, prayers’ in Easter message
- Hot Audio: NDC will abolish luxury vehicles tax- John Mahama
- Queen mother calls for the establishment of National House of Queens
- Dust not settled on approved Bono Regional Minister – Minority hints
- NDC kicks against ‘online’ registration of new voters
- Videos of alleged irregularities in referendum fake -EC
- NDC is being disingenuous with NHIS collapsing claims - Dep. Minister
- CPDA to launch maiden Vice Presidential Permutations Forum
- Produce evidence of cancelled power agreements – Jinapor to Gabby, NPP