Audio By Carbonatix
Real Madrid have launched an investigation after a supporter allegedly performed a Nazi salute before the club's Champions League win against Benfica on Wednesday.
Prior to the kick-off at the Bernabeu, a fan appeared to make the fascist gesture as the television cameras panned around the 83,000-seater stadium.
The fan was identified by security staff moments later and ejected from the ground.
Real beat Portuguese side Benfica 2-1 in the second leg of their knockout-round play-off tie, progressing 3-1 on aggregate to the last 16 of the Champions League.
In a statement, the Spanish club said they have asked its disciplinary committee "to initiate an immediate expulsion procedure" for the fan.
"Real Madrid condemns this type of gesture and expression that incites violence and hatred in sports and society," it added.
The incident comes after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Jr alleged he was racially abused by Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni during the first leg in Lisbon.
The 25-year-old Brazilian, who scored the only goal of the game, informed the referee he had been racially abused by Prestianni and the game was halted for 10 minutes after he and his Madrid team-mates left the pitch.
Argentine winger Prestianni was subsequently handed a provisional one-match ban and missed the second leg after UEFA rejected Benfica's appeal against his suspension. He could still face further punishment, pending the result of a full Uefa investigation.
Vinicius, who scored Madrid's winner in the 80th minute, received support from the home fans as a banner reading "no to racism" in Spanish was displayed in the stands before kick-off.
His team-mate Aurelien Tchouameni also said the win was "for everyone who stands against racism".
Latest Stories
-
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
9 minutes -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
18 minutes -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
25 minutes -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
26 minutes -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
2 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
2 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
2 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
2 hours -
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
3 hours -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
3 hours -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
3 hours -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
3 hours -
Nestlé Ghana, ECOM Ghana hand over 6-unit classroom block to Adarkwa Methodist Primary School
3 hours -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
3 hours -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
4 hours