Audio By Carbonatix
Alhaji Mustapha Ali Idris, Northern Regional Minister has called on stakeholders in the health sector to redouble their efforts in the war against the guinea worm disease in the region.
He appealed to the people to help protect water sources to ensure that no new cases of the guinea worm disease are recorded.
Alhaji Idris made the call at a meeting with stakeholders from the health sector and District Chief Executives (DCEs) from the five most endemic guinea worm districts.
The Districts are, Tolon/Kumbungu, Savelugu/Nanton, East Gonja, Yendi and Tamale Metropolitan Area.
The meeting was also to review some proposed District Assembly bye-laws aimed at controlling human activities that tend to endanger the safety of water sources.
Alhaji Idris said it was necessary to involve opinion leaders from the guinea worm endemic areas to ensure that bye-laws are respected to be effective.
He said the guinea worm would continue to be a health threat in the region if holistic measures were not put in place to ensure that the disease was eliminated and that it was also necessary for the media to design attitudinal change educational programmes to win the war against the disease.
Dr. Elias Sory, Northern Regional Director of Health Services called for effective policing of dam sites in the region so as to control the rate of infection.
He said measures were also in place to monitor food and water sellers in the bid to reduce the rate of infection of the guinea worm disease.
Gilbert Dery, Northern Regional Programmes Manager of the disease said there had been a considerable improvement in guinea worm infection over the past two years and expressed the hope that the fight against the disease would be won.
Source: GNA
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Türkiye’s exports to Africa rise 12.6% to $13.3bn in seven months
1 hour -
Togo detains two French journalists and their Togolese fixer
1 hour -
Today’s Front pages: Thursday, August 20, 2026
1 hour -
GIPA, GUTA outline roadmap to protect informal retail space for Ghanaians
2 hours -
GIPA invites investors to maiden ‘Invest Ghana Summit’
2 hours -
Election Watch Ghana to hold national dialogue on Vigilantism and Related Offences Act
2 hours -
The Algorithmic Gavel: Analysing automated customs valuation, ICUMS and the rule of law in international trade
2 hours -
GRIDCo identifies Akosombo–Volta line fault as cause of widespread power outage
3 hours -
Dodowa-Afienya-Dawhenya road project to be completed by December – Contractor
3 hours -
Galamsey fight must go beyond empty slogans; it requires conscious effort – Methodist Church
4 hours -
GoldBod, BoG should share cost of domestic gold programme – Dr Sarkodie
4 hours -
DGPP losses could leave taxpayers to recapitalise BoG – Prof Bokpin
4 hours -
GAUA suspends strike ahead of August 25 meeting with Fair Wages
4 hours -
Big Push road projects targeted for completion by end of 2027 – Suhuyini
4 hours -
Early morning blackout disrupts power supply across several regions
4 hours