The president’s nominee for the Municipal Chief Executive of Bolgatanga, Rex Asanga, has been given a 100% endorsement.
On Thursday morning, he polled all 39 votes cast by Assembly Members to become the first MCE to be confirmed in the Upper East Region this year.
Rex Asanga was the NPP’s Parliamentary candidate for Bolgatanga Central in the 2016 and 2020 elections.
He lost both elections to the NDC’s Isaac Adongo but was nominated this year by President Akufo-Addo for MCE of Bolgatanga, the Upper East Regional capital.
Before voting started, the Upper East Regional Minister, Stephen Yakubu, reminded the Assembly members of their developmental responsibility, indicating that any delays in getting an MCE to steer the affairs of the Assembly would affect the business of the Municipal Assembly.
“We must support the President’s vision for our region by endorsing his nominees”, he said.
In all, 39 Assembly members, made up of 27 elected members and 12 government-appointed members, voted in favour of Mr Asanga’s nomination.
In his acceptance speech, Rex Asanga thanked president Akufo-Addo for reposing confidence in him and pledged to work hard for the full development of the municipality.
“I wish to assure the members of this house and all stakeholders of my belief in partnership, participatory and inclusive development. So, one will be left out in our efforts to move the development of our municipality forward”, Asanga said.
He added that his immediate plans to develop the Bolgatanga Municipality will include tackling the issues of low revenue mobilizing by the Assembly, poor sanitation, lack of access roads and indiscipline in the transportation sector.
“I intend to provide leadership in our municipality; and a vigorous one at that, and with your support and participation, to tackle these developmental challenges”, he said.
The outgoing MCE for Bolgatanga, Joseph Amiyuure, congratulated the president’s nominee and urged the Assembly members to give the nominee their full support.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- Mahama calls for the intensification of stakeholder efforts, engagement on NACAP
- John Mahama recommends Public Funding of Political Parties Bill to regulate political financing
- Ghana Chamber of Mines censures Golden Star attacks, worried over upsurge of violence against mines
- Ex-President Kufuor urges his scholars to exhibit high levels of integrity
- Boris Johnson clashes with MPs over Partygate denials
- U.S. launches 5-year $5 million patnership with NHIA to improve quality of healthcare, digitisation, and access
- Bolt donates to 2 institutions as part of CSR activities
- North Dayi health directorate holds 2022 annual performance review meeting
- Livestream: PM Express discusses EC’s neutrality
- FWSC working on linking salary to productivity – Benjamin Arthur
- ECG doesn’t have means to prove power theft – Lawyer
- Endeavour to build quality homes – GREDA to members
- Poverty is our enemy; peace and development are our objectives -VP Bawumia
- Alan pays for printing of albums for 200,000 delegates
- Joy Prime premieres new telenovela ‘The Rich Also Cry’ on April 3, 2023