Audio By Carbonatix
Real Madrid defender Antonio Rudiger has been given a six-match ban for throwing an object at the referee during their Copa del Rey final loss to Barcelona.
Rudiger and Real team-mate Lucas Vazquez, who had both been substituted, were shown straight red cards in Seville for angrily reacting to a foul given against Kylian Mbappe shortly before the final whistle.
Referee Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea said in his report that centre-back Rudiger, 32, was dismissed for "throwing an object from the technical area, which missed me".
BBC Sport columnist Guillem Balague reported that Rudiger threw an ice cube at the official, external.
The report by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), external said the Germany defender had been given a six-game suspension "for minor violence against the referees".
The RFEF has also revoked the red card given to Real midfielder Jude Bellingham for dissent after the final whistle.
The referee's report said Bellingham "approached our position in an aggressive attitude, having to be restrained by his team-mates", but the RFEF said Real had provided video evidence which disproved this.
Under article 101 of the RFEF disciplinary code, which covers "mild violence" towards referees, Rudiger could have received a suspension of between four and 12 matches.
All six games of Rudiger's suspension will be served in league matches, meaning that it will extend until the start of next season.
He will be banned for the final five games in La Liga this campaign, and for the opening game of the 2025-26 campaign.
Rudiger is unlikely to be hugely impacted by the ban, after undergoing knee surgery on Tuesday which is likely to rule him out for the rest of the season.
Real did not give a timescale for his recovery but Spanish media reports say he could be out for between six and eight weeks, which would rule him out of the rest of the domestic season and make him doubtful for the Club World Cup, which starts on 15 June.
Rudiger had apologised for the incident, saying there was "definitely no excuse" for his behaviour.
According to the RFEF, this apology was used as attempted mitigation by Real for a reduction in Rudiger's ban.
Vazquez has been suspended for two games, both of which will be served in Copa del Rey fixtures.
Latest Stories
-
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
17 minutes -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
37 minutes -
This week on The Career Trail
40 minutes -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
41 minutes -
“I stepped back from politics for my husband to continue the journey” – Sammi Awuku’s wife
46 minutes -
Ghana will receive final IMF cash of US$318 million immediately after July board approval – Mission Chief
51 minutes -
Arthur Legacy, CAA Base partner to educate players on transfers, branding
56 minutes -
Midie: Children wade through mud daily to go to school
57 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans case is not over – Banking consultant
1 hour -
Oh Why, Honourable Alexander Kwamena Afenyo-Markin?
1 hour -
MoGCSP inaugurates, swears in Technical Working Group for new National Plan of Action on elimination of human trafficking
2 hours -
Charges dismissed against official at school where six-year-old shot teacher
2 hours -
India has a new political superstar – a cockroach
2 hours -
Mary Anane Awuku rejects caning, advocates counselling and parental involvement
2 hours -
Many people don’t like sharing their success tips – Mary Anane Awuku
2 hours