Audio By Carbonatix
Fifa president Sepp Blatter says he wants to set up an anti-corruption committee to police world football's governing body.
The move comes after allegations of corruption dogged Fifa throughout the bidding process and voting for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
Blatter said: "This committee will strengthen our credibility and give us a new image in terms of transparency.
"I will take care of it personally, to ensure there is no corruption at Fifa."
Blatter told Swiss newspaper SonntagsZeitung the committee would consist of seven to nine members "not only from sport but from politics, finance, business and culture".
And the Swiss confirmed he would not sit on the committee himself as he wanted to guarantee its independence.
The move to set up an anti-corruption unit will raise questions about the future of Fifa's ethics committee, which investigated claims of corruption last year.
Following the investigation, Fifa's executive committee members Amos Adamu and Reynald Temarii were suspended over allegations they offered to sell their votes during bidding for the World Cup, something the pair vehemently denied.
They both subsequently missed December's ballot in which Russia was chosen to host the 2018 tournament and Qatar the 2022 event, following a secret vote by the remaining 22 committee members.
During the bidding process for the World Cups, Fifa was also forced to investigate rumours of collusion between member associations and their bid committees in relation to the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding process.
At that time, Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke warned all countries that mutual voting deals were against Fifa rules.
The 2018 Spain-Portugal and 2022 Qatar bids were cleared of collusion in the investigation.
A BBC Panorama programme broadcast three days before the World Cup vote alleged three Fifa officials, Nicolas Leoz, Issa Hayatou and Ricardo Teixeira, took bribes in the 1990s.
Denying any wrongdoing, vice-president Hayatou has threatened to sue while Leoz and Teixeira are said to have also denied wrongdoing.
Fifa said at the time the case was "definitely closed" as allegations had already been investigated in Switzerland, with no Fifa officials being convicted.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghanaians have no idea how much foreigners make from galamsey – Archbishop Duncan-Williams
13 minutes -
Today’s front pages: Monday, August 17, 2026
15 minutes -
‘If you want to imprison me over my friendship with Bawumia, go ahead’ – Rev. Kusi Boateng
34 minutes -
Wontumi Out, COKA In: How NPP’s new Ashanti chairman differs from his predecessor
3 hours -
With unity, we will win 2028 election – Bawumia
3 hours -
‘The restoration begins’ – Okoe Boye pledges to rebuild NPP in Greater Accra
3 hours -
Ghana, Netherlands deepen cooperation to tackle illicit drug trade
3 hours -
One dead, eight injured in head-on crash on Kasoa–Winneba Road
3 hours -
Cedi stages strong recovery as dollar supply improves, demand eases
3 hours -
Duncan-Williams warns galamsey could endanger Ghana’s future generations
3 hours -
Fire ravages wooden structures at Tantra Hill’s Golden Door area
3 hours -
Petrol prices to drop today with diesel up in mixed pump price review
3 hours -
Okoe Boye will help NPP win more seats in Greater Accra – Bawumia
3 hours -
I am open to work with everyone to win 2028 — Bawumia
3 hours -
Peace, security practitioners tasked to deepen stakeholder collaboration
3 hours