Audio By Carbonatix
The row over who will take charge of Sierra Leone for their upcoming 2012 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier has intensified, with the country's FA threatening to withdraw its team from qualifying altogether.
The Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) says it will pull the Leone Stars out of the competition if Swedish coach Lars Olof Mattsson, who was appointed by the country's sports ministry, takes charge of the side.
Sierra Leone's preparations for the home tie against Niger on 4 June were thrown into disarray after the naming of two separate squads on Thursday.
One provisional 33-man squad was selected by local coach Christian Cole, who is recognised by the SLFA, and the other, a 24-man squad, was chosen by the Swede.
Mattsson, who is currently in Sweden, told BBC Sport that he has not been contacted by the SLFA and is hoping for the situation to be resolved before returning to Sierra Leone next week.
"I'm not going to go until I know that the situation is resolved between the SLFA and the sports minister," he said.
"I'll stand by here, [but] I'm planning to go there next week, so we'll see what's going to happen."
Mattsson was originally contracted to coach the Leone Stars for just one game and that was the last 2012 qualifier in Niger in Niamey in March.
Despite losing that game 3-1, his contract was then extended by the sport ministry to lead the team for the remainder of the 2012 qualifiers.
However the SLFA has refused to recognise the Swede as coach of the Leone Stars and insist that Christian Cole is in charge of the team for the rest of 2012 campaign.
The SLFA says its executive has still not considered Mattsson's credentials, which have been forwarded on by the sports ministry.
Cole has included 13 overseas players and 20 home-based players in his list and has already started training in Freetown.
Mattsson's squad includes 22 foreign-based players and only two from the local leagues.
All the foreign-based players that Cole has chosen, with the exception of Finland-based Sam Obi Metzger Jr, are also on Mattsson's list.
One name that is on neither list is former Inter Milan striker Mohamed Kallon, who is currently without a club.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
28 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
32 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
56 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
6 hours