Audio By Carbonatix
South Africans have disrupted a speech in Johannesburg by a veteran politician who was trying to quell tensions following a recent wave of deadly riots and xenophobic attacks.
Mangosuthu Buthelez was heckled by a rowdy section of the crowd.
Dozens of men marched through the area calling for foreigners to leave.
At least 10 people, two of them foreign nationals, have been killed in the violence over the last week.
By Thursday police said they had arrested more than 420 people and the unrest had subsided.
But on Sunday groups of men carrying clubs marched down the streets of Johannesburg singing "foreigners must go back to where they came from", Soweten Live reports.
The crowd headed to Jules Park in Johannesburg where Mr Buthelezi, a Zulu leader during apartheid and former leader of South Africa's opposition Inkatha Freedom Party, was due to address them about the recent attacks.
He told the crowd he had come as a mediator and said he felt ashamed about the recent violence which he said was tarnishing the name of South Africa across the continent.
But he was heckled throughout and video shared on Twitter shows crowds walking out of the meeting.
Mobs began looting foreign-owned shops and torching foreigners' lorries on Monday.
The attacks started after South African lorry drivers staged a nationwide strike to protest against the employment of foreign drivers.
The country has become a magnet for migrants from other parts of Africa because it has one of the continent's biggest and most developed economies.
But there is also high unemployment in South Africa and some people feel foreigners are taking their jobs.
As the week progressed, people across the continent shared videos on WhatsApp which appeared to show violent attacks on Nigerians.
Some of the videos turned out to be misleading - old, or even from other countries.
Nonetheless, a diplomatic row ensued with Nigeria's government being particularly outspoken in its condemnation of the violence.
The Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari sent an envoy to South Africa to "express Nigeria's displeasure over the treatment of her citizens".
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
36 minutes -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
41 minutes -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
47 minutes -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
2 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
2 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
2 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
2 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
2 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
2 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
2 hours -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
4 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
4 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
5 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General Superintendent
5 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
5 hours