The Special Prosecutor has invited the embattled Juaben Municipal Chief Executive nominee, Alex Sarfo- Kantanka, for questioning.
Kissi Agyebeng, in a letter dated November 2, said his outfit has commenced investigations into allegations of corruption and corruption-related offences against the nominee.
Mr Sarfo-Kantanka has failed on two occasions to get the nod from assembly members of the Juaben Municipal Assembly to become their MCE.
In a video that went viral on Monday, he is seen publicly demanding monies he supposedly gave to some of the 26 assembly members to influence their vote.
Mr Sarfo-Kantanka failed in his first attempt after he secured six votes out of a total of 26.
He failed again in his second attempt, polling only 10 votes.
He is said to have demanded a refund of monies paid to assembly members for his endorsement when he failed in his second attempt.
Sources say an amount of GH¢5,000 was allegedly paid to each of the 26 assembly members to influence them to vote in his favor.
But the assembly members rejected him outright for the second time, making him angry.
It took police intervention to prevent supporters of the nominee from assaulting the Atwima Nwabiagya South MP, Emmanuel Agyei Anhwere and assembly members on November 1, 2021.
The nominee’s supporters massed up at the assembly grounds threatening to assault all assembly members locked up in that building.
The police had to whisk away the Regional Minister from mob assault.
Representative of the Ashanti Caucus of MPs, Emmanuel Agyei Anhwere, was, however, assaulted by the mob.
The nominee, around the same period, went into the assembly’s conference room to demand refund of money he allegedly paid to the assembly members.
In a video sighted by Myjoyonline.com, Mr Sarfo-Kantanka is captured using unprintable words on some assembly members, who he believed voted against him.
Police, after learning of payment of the alleged bribe intervened and arrested Mr. Sarfo-Kantanka.
Director of Police Public Affairs, Superintendent Alex Kwaku Obeng in a press release said the arrest was to enable the nominee assist police with investigations.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- We are one people – Bawumia and Mahama laud peaceful enskinment of new Yagbonwura
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – ECG MD
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation cards
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Akufo-Addo awards Emirates with Presidential Honour for Distinguished Service in fight against COVID-19
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- NYA lauds District Assembly Common Fund for role in Youth Resource Centres construction
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hint at audit
- I love listening to music more than recording – Kelvyn Boy
- Bring Mohammed Muntaka to book – NDC executives told
- Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill: Life in prison for saying you’re gay
- Oforikrom Assembly signs MoU with Crops Research Institute to improve vegetable production
- Woman arrested for cooking after reopening of Kejetia Market
- Saudi government provides parcels to Muslims ahead of Ramadan
- African scientists urge governments to invest in appropriate regulatory mechanisms for biotech products
- NDC primaries: We need a people-centered leader in Ketu North – Edem Agbana
- Referee suspended for using spectator’s mobile phone to disallow goal
- NIB arrest some ECG IT personnel over recent prepaid vending challenges
- Vodafone cash and MobileMoney Limited partner to enable merchant interoperability