England won in Spain for the first time in 31 years as they recorded a memorable Uefa Nations League win over Spain in Seville.
Gareth Southgate's side were 3-0 up after a sensational first half, Raheem Sterling ending a three-year and 27-game barren sequence with a thunderous early opener and he was on the mark from close range for the third before the interval, with a composed strike from Marcus Rashford sandwiched in between.
Spain, torn apart by England's pace in those opening 45 minutes, responded in predictable fashion in a chaotic second period as Paco Alcacer pulled a goal back just before the hour with a near-post header.
England lived on their nerves, particularly goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, whose exceptional ability with the ball at his feet helped create their first two goals but was also lucky to survive a penalty appeal when he seemed to bring down Rodrigo after attempting to be too clever in his own area.
Spain hit the woodwork and Sergio Ramos scored with the final act of the game in the 97th minute - but England survived to secure a famous and deserved victory, their first here since a 4-2 win in 1987 and in a country that has rarely tasted defeat on its own turf.
This was their first loss at home in a competitive fixture since 2003.
More Sports Headlines
- Guardiola: They have to fix VAR
- African Games: Black Satellites win opener against Burundi
- VAR denies Man City again against Spurs
- Kroos piledriver helps Real Madrid win at Celta but Modric sees red
- Mane and Firmino give Liverpol win at Southampton
- Dortmund crush Augsburg to set title marker in season opener
- Lacazette and Aubameyang give Arsenal the edge over sturdy Burnley
- Former Nigeria great Samson Siasia handed life ban by Fifa
- Aduriz, 38, scores stunning goal as Athletic Bilbao beat Barcelona
- Coutinho set for Bayern Munich loan move
- Ghana's Patrick Twumasi joins Turkish club on loan
- Skyy FC owner unhappy with Normalisation Committee's draft statutes
- Andre Ayew focused on Swansea amid transfer rumours
- Liverpool goalie could miss Southampton game after pitch invader injured his ankle
- Hazard out of Madrid season opener with thigh injury