Asante Kotoko have crashed out of the Caf Confederation Cup at the group stage after they were defeated by Zesco United on Sunday.
The Porcupine Warriors, who needed a win to qualify for the quarterfinals, threw away a one-goal lead to lose 2-1 to the Zambian side at the Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola.
Kotoko stunned the host when they opened the scoring in the 46th minute through substitute Stephen Nkarko. The attacking midfielder headed into the net after Zesco goalkeeper parried a shot into his path.
However, the lead lasted for eight minutes as Jesse Were restored parity with a close-range effort.
Two minutes later, Kondwani Mtonga scored to make it 2-1 for the Zesco.
The defeat for Kotoko means Al Hilal of Sudan and Zambian side Nkana qualify from Group C despite Hilal thumping Nkana 4-1.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Akufo-Addo backs Kwesi Appiah's new Black Stars captain decision
- StarTimes to broadcast 2019 Copa Del Rey final
- Ghana does not belong to Asamoah Gyan, he can go – Grunsah
- Arsenal's Mkhitaryan to miss Europa League final due to security concerns
- André Ayew set to be named new Ghana captain
- Kwesi Appiah forced Gyan to retire - Asamoah’s Aide
- Highlights: Asamoah Gyan, 16 years a Black Star [Video + infographic]
- Manner of Gyan's retirement reveals true, fractured state of Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Ghana can end AFCON drought with TB Joshua's help - Richard Kingson
- Why African players are dominating European leagues
- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing during match
- Kofi Addo-Agyekum grateful to SWAG
- 'Quality not enough' to win Afcon - Thomas Partey
- Guardiola: 'Incredible' treble not enough for Man City without Champions League