Audio By Carbonatix
Luis Suarez claims his World Cup handball “could have happened to anyone” as he prepares to face three Ghana players when Liverpool visit Sunderland on Sunday.
Speaking exclusively to Goal.com UK, Suarez revealed he has no intention of mentioning the incident when he comes up against Sulley Muntari, Asamoah Gyan and John Mensah at the Stadium of Light.
The Uruguay striker controversially handled the ball on the goalline in the quarter-final of the tournament in South Africa to deny Ghana a dramatic late winner.
Suarez was sent off for the offence but Gyan missed the resulting penalty before Uruguay won the shootout to claim a place in the semi-finals.
Suarez, 24, insists any player would have done the same in his position and says he feels more guilty about biting PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman Bakkal while playing for Ajax in November, for which he was banned for seven matches by the Dutch Football Federation.
“What happened at the World Cup could have happened to anyone and it’s something I want to leave behind me,” Suarez told Goal.com UK.
“I feel much worse about the bite. The worst thing that can happen is to hurt someone else and I have apologised for what happened in Holland. It’s something I do regret but it’s in the past, it’s one of those things.
“I won’t say anything to Gyan. For me, he is just another player. Maybe it’s still a big problem for others, but as far as I’m concerned it must stay in the past.
“I’m not playing against one or two people. I’m playing against the Sunderland team as a whole. For me, what’s important is the result of the match. All I want is to win for Liverpool.”
Suarez, who signed for Liverpool in a £22.8 million deal in January, admits that he has been working on controlling his emotions as he adapts to his new life in England.
Source: Ghanasoccernet.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
8 minutes -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
22 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
45 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
46 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
47 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
5 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours