Audio By Carbonatix
Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has admitted he is interested in taking Ghana defender John Mensah to the Stadium of Light.
The deputy Black Stars captain who is out of favour at French club Olympique Lyon could be heading to the Premiership if Bruce succeeds in getting him on a one-year proposed loan deal.
He told the Echo newspaper: "I was interested in Mensah when I was at Birmingham but he went for a lot of money – £9million. We'll see on him. Yes, there's an interest."
Mensah has spent just one season at Lyon but the club’s hierarchy have said through pre-season that they will be happy to let him join another side with coach Claude Puel suggesting the Ghanaian does not figure in his plans.
He is however plenty of admirers with Portsmouth and West Ham all said to be interested. Mensah says he is aware of the interest and has hinted he will welcome a switch the Premiership.
"I am aware of the interest, but nothing is agreed yet, it was always an ambition to play in the Premier League, so let's wait and see," he said earlier this week.
Source: Kickoff.com
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
2026 Legacy Expo to reposition Africa’s beauty and wellness economy
6 minutes -
TDC, GIADEC and ARISE IIP establish special-purpose company to drive Tema Industrial Park project
16 minutes -
Ablakwa clarifies South Africa evacuation reports, assures support for all Ghanaians
20 minutes -
Today’s Front pages: Friday, May 22, 2026
36 minutes -
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
57 minutes -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
2 hours -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
2 hours -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
2 hours -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
2 hours -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
2 hours -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
2 hours -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
2 hours -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
3 hours -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
3 hours