Audio By Carbonatix
Sunderland have decided not to take up the option to sign on-loan Inter Milan midfielder Sulley Muntari.
The 26-year-old midfielder joined the Black Cats from the Italian side in January and has made seven starts and two outings as a substitute.
"Sulley has been a great professional in his time here," said Sunderland manager Steve Bruce.
"Naturally we'd like to thank him for his contribution and wish him all the best for the future."
Muntari's agent, Fabien Piveteau, had claimed Sunderland would not try to sign the Ghanaian midfielder because of his wages.
"There is no chance at Sunderland for Sulley. They have decided he is too expensive," said Piveteau.
But Piveteau, who also represents Ghana's John Mensah, is confident the defender does have a Black Cats future.
"For John there is a good chance," Piveteau added.
"The situation with him is that if he played 25 games he would definitely sign for Sunderland but he has only played 18 at the moment.
"He has not played all of the games but it has been a different type of injury this season for John.
"At the moment I think results are the priority, but the coaches will talk with him soon about next season."
Mensah is in his second loan spell at Sunderland from French side Lyon but his season has again been ruined by injury.
Muntari, meanwhile, has failed to score in eight league games for the Black Cats.
Source: BBC
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Africa must become a destination for investment, not aid — Deputy Finance Minister
29 minutes -
Regulation by invoicing: Systemic flaws in NITA’s licensing push and threat to Ghana’s digital trust
33 minutes -
‘I’m sick and tired of this country’ – Ghanaian in South Africa pour out frustrations at meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister
57 minutes -
‘Mum’s dementia means I live in the moment with her’
1 hour -
Energy Commission champions Clean Energy Transition
1 hour -
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
2 hours -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
2 hours -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
2 hours -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
2 hours -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
2 hours -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
4 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
4 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
6 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
6 hours