‘The Woman King’ headlines the African American Film Critics Association’s annual list of the top 10 films of the year.
The film, directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, has ensemble cast led by Viola Davis which includes Lashana Lynch, Sheila Atim and Thuso Mbedu as the Agojie, an all-female army of fierce warriors.
John Boyega also stars as King Ghezo.
“The best films of this year prove that diverse stories – the true and the fantastical – are not only important to the culture but are equally important to the movie-making business,” said AAFCA president and co-founder Gil Robertson.
“Black films which make an impact on our minds and hearts are also making a sizable impact at the box office. Our top film, ‘The Woman King’, bridges the gap between telling important, heartfelt stories, and providing an entertaining experience for movie-going audiences.
“These true tales of black empowerment and accomplishment, such as ‘Emancipation,’ ‘Devotion’ and ‘Sidney,’ as well as fantastical tales such as ‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,’ and ‘Wendell & Wild’ invite us to experience underappreciated pieces of history along with our own imaginings.”
The full list of AAFCA’S Top 10 Films of 2022:
- The Woman King
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
- Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Wendell & Wild
AAFCA will reveal winners of the 14th Annual AAFCA Awards honoring outstanding achievement in film in 15 competitive categories on Jan. 16. An in-person celebration in Los Angeles will follow on March 1.
Viola Davis to Receive Chairman’s Award at Palm Springs International Film Awards
The Palm Springs International Film Awards has announced that Viola Davis will be honored with the Chairman’s Award for her work as an actor and producer for “The Woman King.”
“Whether as an actress or producer, Viola Davis brings powerful stories to the screen. In The Woman King, Davis continues to prove that she is a force of nature in this groundbreaking performance about the leader of the Agojie, a unit of all-female warriors,” festival chairman Harold Matzner said in a statement.
“It is our honor to present the Chairman’s Award to Viola Davis celebrating her work as both an actress and producer.”
Davis joins previously announced honorees Austin Butler (Breakthrough Performance Award, Actor), Cate Blanchett (Desert Palm Achievement Award, Actress), Colin Farrell (Desert Palm Achievement Award, Actor), Sarah Polley (Director of the Year Award), Michelle Yeoh (International Star Award) and “The Fabelmans” (Vanguard Award).
The Palm Springs International Film Awards will take place on Jan. 5 at the Palm Springs Convention Center.
- Woman ordered to refund $80k after she refuses to marry man who paid her fees
- Suspected food poisoning: 5 die after eating waakye
- Patience Ozokwor explains why she didn’t remarry after husband’s death
- Government reaches deal with Securities Industry Association to sign up for Domestic Debt Exchange
- Ghanaian students on government scholarship stranded in UK over delayed stipend
- Court orders for pregnancy test of woman convicted in ¢50k theft before sentence
- 4 persons injured in ghastly accident on Accra-Kumasi Highway
- Full Report: Technical Committee on exclusion of individual bondholders from Debt Exchange Programme
- Classroom Mothers: Schoolgirl donating blood discovers she’s 3 months pregnant
- Individual bondholders petition Togbe Afede over Domestic Debt Exchange Programme
- Ghana’s reserves ended 2022 at 2.7 months of import cover; but trade surplus hits $2.75bn
- IMF presses Ghana to stop borrowing from its central bank
- Cedi depreciated by 19.1% to dollar in January 2023 – BoG
- A Google employee of 11 years and his wife shell-shocked over retrenchment
- Ghana’s public debt stood at ¢575.7bn in November 2022 – BoG
- There is a need for proper accountability of climate change funds – Dr Segtub
- Playback: Joy Prime’s BMPS Show: Is flirting disrespectful to your partner?
- What if Muntaka is appointed party’s campaign manager – NDC Executive Member on Minority leadership shake-up
- #SomethingWickedAwards live on Hitz FM
- Climate change funds should be used more for adaptation and mitigation efforts – Penplusbytes
- 1 suspect arrested in Krofrom gang attack
- Only 1 person died from suspected food poisoning at Oyibi – FDA
- UMB launches 2 new life insurance products with SIC Life
- Gang burns down six-bedroom house in reprisal attack at Krofrom
- 7 shot dead at Jerusalem synagogue