Audio By Carbonatix
Twitter will continue to take a forgiving approach to objectionable tweets by world leaders, arguing that their messages are often of public interest.
The social media platform sought to clarify its rules for politicians Tuesday after coming under pressure from Senator Kamala Harris, a Democratic presidential candidate, to suspend President Donald Trump's account.
"We want to make it clear today that the accounts of world leaders are not above our policies entirely," Twitter said in a blog post, adding that part of its mission is to allow people to "engage their leaders directly."
The Trump tweets
Twitter has come under intense pressure from Democrats to crack down on Trump's tweets, and calls for action have grown louder in recent weeks after Trump used his account to attack key figures in the impeachment probe underway in the House of Representatives. The company has not yet labeled any of the president's tweets as violating its policies. Harris has meanwhile sought to make Trump's Twitter account a campaign issue. The former attorney general of California said in a letter earlier this month to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey that the president had broken the platform's rules by using his account to "target" and "harass" the whistleblower at the center of the Ukraine scandal. She returned to the issue during Tuesday's CNN/New York Times Democratic Presidential Debate, calling for a suspension of Trump's account and saying it had been used to "openly intimidate and threaten witnesses." In her letter to Dorsey, Harris singled out a series of messages Trump posted in late September relating to the whistleblower who sparked the investigation into the White House's activities in Ukraine. "Like every American, I deserve to meet my accuser, especially when this accuser, the so-called 'Whistleblower,' represented a perfect conversation with a foreign leader in a totally inaccurate and fraudulent way," Trump tweeted on September 29. In a related tweet, Trump suggested the whistleblower was a spy.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Man’s conviction quashed for 2018 murder in County Louth
2 minutes -
Homeless Ghanaian in Canada notorious for ‘shit-bombing’ re-arrested over alleged sexual assault
9 minutes -
Telecel Foundation bridges maternal health gap at Kasseh Health Centre in Ada
30 minutes -
McDan Group’s response to GACL’s “buyer beware” notice on disputed Spintex land
31 minutes -
Reforming NaSIA’s governance framework for enhanced autonomy & quality assurance
33 minutes -
Why Africa’s best-educated remain the west’s lowest-paid
52 minutes -
Encroachment around Kpeve treatment plant must cease for water production to continue – Stanley Martey
1 hour -
Health Ministry to introduce volunteer programme for over 6,000 unemployed health graduates
1 hour -
Sports Minister rejects claims delayed funds disrupted game organisation
1 hour -
Shift closed fishing season to May/June – Sankofa Project recommends
1 hour -
2023 All African Games: PAC questions GH¢35m expenditure without supporting documents
1 hour -
Sports Minister Kofi Adams rejects claims of poor feeding at African Athletics Championship
1 hour -
Toronto police arrest Ghanaian over two separate sexual assault incidents
2 hours -
Kpeve Water Plant shut down over soaring turbidity levels, encroachment – GWL
2 hours -
Kofi Adams dismisses claims Ghana supplied broken pole vault equipment at African Athletics Championships
2 hours