Audio By Carbonatix
Villagers in India being terrorised by more than 2,000 wild monkeys claim to have found an unconventional way to tackle the simian menace – by dressing up as bears.
Sikandarpur village in Uttar Pradesh dressed two villagers in bear costumes to try scaring away the monkeys after the forest department ignored their pleas for help, Indian news outlets reported Tuesday.
“We have now started taking turns in wearing the bear costume and roaming around the village,” village head Ram Lalit Verma told the Indo-Asian News Service. “It was a relative who had told me about the idea and it is actually working.”
Facing monkey menace, villagers get ”˜under the skin”™ rather than ”˜bear”™ it https://t.co/58YZz7xusL
— TOI Bareilly (@TOIBareilly) January 28, 2020
Villagers donated money to buy three costumes from a make-up artist for 1,700 Indian Rupees ($23.82) each, he told the Times of India. The outlet posted a photo of villagers outfitted in two of the costumes.
The village now claims the trick has led to a drastic dip in monkey attacks, according to the outlet. There had previously been 150 reports of such attacks, which especially targeted children.
The forest department had told villagers that a lack of funds has prevented them from doing much about the exploding monkey population, according to the Times of India.

“Catching a monkey would cost nearly 600 Indian Rupees ($8.41) and last time we got funds was in 2018 when we had called a rescue team from Mathura,” forest officer MN Singh said.
The most the officers could do, Singh said, was to allow villagers to catch the monkeys themselves and help them release the bothersome simians into the wild elsewhere.
He added that he would visit the village, and if he sees that the bear trick is working, he’ll suggest it to other villages.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
3 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
3 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
3 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
3 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
3 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
3 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
3 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
3 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
4 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
4 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
4 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
4 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
4 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
5 hours