Audio By Carbonatix
A Virginia man has been charged with making violent threats on social media against Kamala Harris shortly after she began her campaign for president.
Frank Carillo, 66, of Winchester, faced court on Monday over threatening messages posted on GETTR, a conservative social media platform.
One stated Ms Harris "needs to be put on fire alive", while another said she would "regret ever trying to become president".
Mr Carillo was arrested on 2 August. FBI agents seized an AR15-style rifle, a handgun, and thousands of rounds of ammunition in a search of his home.
Investigators allege that Mr Carillo did "knowingly and willfully make a threat to take the life of and to inflict bodily harm" against Ms Harris.
The federal complaint says 4,359 messages were found threatening various people or groups, including 19 directed at Ms Harris.
Court documents showed other messages included "AR15 locked and loaded", and threats to "kill all Muslims" and shoot "illegals... in the head".
The messages in the documents relating to Ms Harris are from 27 July - the date of her first campaign fundraiser and less than a week after Joe Biden dropped out of the presidential race and endorsed her.
"This is ridiculous, for a comment," Mr Carillo said during the search of his home, according to the documents. "I guess I'm gonna need a lawyer."
Making a threat against the president, vice-president or others in the line of presidential succession carries a prison sentence of up to five years.
The investigation began after threats were reported against the keeper of voter registration records in Arizona's Maricopa County, Stephen Richer.
Mr Richer was known for pushing back against false claims of election fraud four years ago.
GETTR and Google helped the FBI in its investigation.
Republicans and Democrats have condemned the growing trend of political violence, especially after last month's assassination attempt on Donald Trump, who was injured in the attack.
GETTR was originally founded by Jason Miller, Trump's chief spokesman. He left when he joined the 2024 Trump presidential campaign last year.
Mr Carillo has requested a lawyer and is next due to appear in court on Thursday.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t targets petroleum upstream recovery after five years of consecutive decline
2 minutes -
TUC welcomes ICJ ruling affirming workers’ right to strike
30 minutes -
NDC teachers launch grassroots political drive in Western North
52 minutes -
GN Savings and Loans to reopen first branch in Elmina – Nduom
1 hour -
Mr Eazi’s Zagadat Capital acquires 17.31 per cent stake in Intravenous Infusions PLC
2 hours -
Usyk keeps titles with controversial Verhoeven stoppage
2 hours -
Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House
2 hours -
Mahama, Macron push new chapter on reparatory justice
3 hours -
Ghana Institute of Architects cracks down on fake architects and illegal practice
3 hours -
Ghana to destroy over 4,000 illegal weapons in nationwide arms amnesty exercise
3 hours -
Headmen and Queen Mothers meet in Binde to promote lasting peace in Mamprugu Kingdom
4 hours -
Tension in Kasoa: Assembly pulls down shops for 24-hour economy project
5 hours -
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
5 hours -
Eastern Regional Minister halts Koforidua China Mall project over severe flooding
5 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
6 hours