Audio By Carbonatix
A former Deputy Information Minister in the Mahama administration has said the just-ended Voters' registration exercise was a waste of time and resources.
Felix Kwakye Ofosu said the outcome of the exercise doesn’t justify the intent touted by the Electoral Commission.
"This has been one big waste of everybody's time and resources that are scarce and that we could have used to do more useful things for this country."
“The outcome of the registration exercise shows that the decision to compile the new register does not make any more sense now than it made when the idea was first mooted,” he said.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show Thursday, he argued that the Commission did not achieve anything new with this process.
Mr Kwakye Ofosu believes the EC’s decision to conduct the exercise was politically influenced.
“They were carrying out the wishes of the NPP which for some reason had been under the misguided belief that once they were in power they could manipulate the process and have a register that they can control. With the view to suppressing votes in NDC strongholds.”
“That for me bluntly speaking was the main driver of the decision to register. All the excuses and claims that were made have turned out to be untrue,” he said.
He stated that the fact that the same issues such as minors and foreigners being registered had reoccured shows that no measures were put in place to eradicate them.
"Whereas the EC claimed they were doing this to clean the register, they did not have a system that was going to ensure that. Essentially, we are placing more confidence in the word of mouth as opposed to an authentic document produced by established state institutions," he noted.
The EC has said there are minors and foreigners among the 16.9 million persons it has so far registered to vote on December 7.
The Chairperson of the EC, Jean Mensa who made the revelation said, measures are in place to clean up the register before the December polls.
Latest Stories
-
FIFA World Cup: Iran moves camp from USA to Mexico, amid ongoing conflict
2 hours -
Tamale police arrest suspect with large quantities of drugs
2 hours -
BoG pushes for integrated African payment systems to boost trade — Dr Asiama
2 hours -
Two people shot in encounter with Secret Service near the White House
3 hours -
Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo
3 hours -
US Secret Service investigates reports of shots near White House
3 hours -
ECG injects GH¢3m into power upgrades across 40 Accra communities
3 hours -
‘Owadiah’ makes history: William Opare becomes first Ghanaian to break 45 seconds in 400m
3 hours -
Scottish woman ‘was on a mission’ to find out who her Ghanaian husband was. Then she died
3 hours -
Four Ada SHS students arrested after viral cutlass threat video sparks alarm
3 hours -
Christopher Bonsu Baah win Staff Player of the Year award in debut season with Al Qadsiah
4 hours -
Laryea Kingston’s Uganda beat Ghana 8-7 on penalties to secure U-17 World Cup spot and extend Black Starlets’ absence to nine years
5 hours -
FIFA U17 World Cup playoffs: Uganda beat Black Starlets on penalties to qualify
5 hours -
GN Savings and Loans: Ndoum thanks Mahama after Court of Appeal victory
5 hours -
2026 U17 WWCQ: Goalfest in Accra as Black Maidens hit Liberia for six
5 hours