Audio By Carbonatix
The COVID-19 variant that may be driving a recent rise in cases in some parts of the world has earned a new nickname: “razor blade throat” COVID.
That’s because the variant — NB.1.8.1. or “Nimbus” — may cause painful sore throats. The symptom has been identified by doctors in the United Kingdom, India and elsewhere, according to media outlets in those countries.
Other COVID-19 symptoms of any variant include fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath or loss of taste or smell.
Experts say there isn’t major cause for concern with the Nimbus variant, but here ‘s what else you need to know about it.
Here’s where the variant causing ‘razor blade throat’ is spreading
The rise in cases late last month is primarily in eastern Mediterranean, Southeast Asia and western Pacific regions, the World Health Organization said May 28. The new variant had reached nearly 11% of sequenced samples reported globally in mid-May.
Airport screening in the United States detected the new variant in travelers arriving from those regions to destinations in California, Washington state, Virginia and New York.
You aren’t likely to get sicker from this variant than others
Not so far, anyway.
The WHO said some western Pacific countries have reported increases in COVID cases and hospitalizations, but there’s nothing so far to suggest that the disease associated with the new variant is more severe compared to other variants.
COVID-19 vaccines are effective against the Nimbus variant
Yes.
The WHO has designated Nimbus as a “variant under monitoring” and considers the public health risk low at the global level. Current vaccines are expected to remain effective.
Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announced last month that COVID-19 shots are no longer recommended for healthy children and pregnant women — a move immediately questioned by public health experts.
Latest Stories
-
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
31 minutes -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
33 minutes -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
45 minutes -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
55 minutes -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
58 minutes -
Technical challenges affecting tax payments are being resolved—GRA
1 hour -
Ghana Premier League 2026/27: What to expect from the new season
1 hour -
Academic who accused Jason Arday of plagiarism suspended by university
1 hour -
Founder of collapsed Chinese property giant Evergrande sentenced to life in prison
2 hours -
UK, France, Germany, Italy and Canada condemn Israel’s West Bank settlement project
2 hours -
VIDEO: I don’t subscribe to Oyinbo life, Nigeria’s Elumelu schools lady for calling him by first name
2 hours -
23rd Ghana International Book Fair launched to promote reading culture among young people
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Amaniampong’s ‘Onipa’ starts new mission at St. Louis with one-eighth spot
2 hours -
All you need to know about the new Road Traffic Regulations, 2026
2 hours -
FET Auto introduces full GAC vehicle lineup to Ghanaian market
2 hours