Former Yagaba/Kubori Member of Parliament (MP), Mustapha Ussif has been appointed as the acting Executive Director of the National Service Scheme (NSS).
The elevation was announced in a letter signed by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, Monday.
Quoting Section 15 (1) of the Ghana National Service Scheme Act, 1980 to back his action, the President asked the former legislator to superintend over the NSS until such a time when a substantive Director would be approved.
“I hereby appoint you to act as the Executive Director of the Scheme, pending receipt of the constitutionally required advice of the National Service Board, given in consultation with the Public Services Commission,” the letter read.
He was directed to take charge of the institution starting February 6, 2017.
Mr Ussif takes over the reign of the institution from Dr Kpessah Whyte who was appointed by former President John Mahama after the Scheme was hit with corruption allegation.
New NSS boss, Mustapha Ussif
The Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) uncovered a GH¢7.9 million deep-rooted rot at the Secretariat in 2014 - money believed to be allowance paid to some 22,612 non-existent service personnel.
Some officials of the institution were arraigned and processes initiated to get into the issue of the rot.
The new NSS boss holds an MBA in Finance and Investment Student from the University of Gloucestershire in England.
He has varying experiences in banking and insurance.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Making Accra cleanest city in Africa by 2020: Akufo-Addo making progress?
- Obuasi alive with clients exhibition, trade show
- SONA 2019: Toilets provision evidence of $1m for each constituency pledge
- Photo of the week: The Rawlings-Akufo-Addo bromance continues
- Gov't announces plans to avert perennial Bagre Dam spillage
- GES to introduce new curricula for next academic year
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo breaks silence over Menzgold saga
- SONA 2019: Akufo-Addo announces new curriculum for KG to P6
- SONA 2019: 62nd Independence Day celebrations to be held in Tamale
- SONA 2019: I'm mindful of next generation not next election – Akufo-Addo
- Aggrieved customers of Gold Coast Fund Management threaten demo
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, February 21, 2019
- Accra gets mechanical street sweepers for heavy traffic roads
- GIJ poised to lead media research in Ghana
- Vegan bride-to-be bans meat eaters from her wedding