Former Yagaba/Kubori Member of Parliament (MP), Mustapha Ussif has been appointed as the acting Executive Director of the National Service Scheme (NSS).
The elevation was announced in a letter signed by President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, Monday.
Quoting Section 15 (1) of the Ghana National Service Scheme Act, 1980 to back his action, the President asked the former legislator to superintend over the NSS until such a time when a substantive Director would be approved.
“I hereby appoint you to act as the Executive Director of the Scheme, pending receipt of the constitutionally required advice of the National Service Board, given in consultation with the Public Services Commission,” the letter read.
He was directed to take charge of the institution starting February 6, 2017.
Mr Ussif takes over the reign of the institution from Dr Kpessah Whyte who was appointed by former President John Mahama after the Scheme was hit with corruption allegation.
New NSS boss, Mustapha Ussif
The Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) uncovered a GH¢7.9 million deep-rooted rot at the Secretariat in 2014 - money believed to be allowance paid to some 22,612 non-existent service personnel.
Some officials of the institution were arraigned and processes initiated to get into the issue of the rot.
The new NSS boss holds an MBA in Finance and Investment Student from the University of Gloucestershire in England.
He has varying experiences in banking and insurance.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion