A joint team of military and police personnel has been deployed to the Chereponi District in the Northern Region following clashes between two ethnic groups.
District Chief Executive (DCE) for the area, Abdul Razak Tahidu, who revealed the deployment of the security personnel, described the incident as unfortunate.
He said security has been beefed up in the community to restore peace and order.
The renewed clashes between the Konkombas and Chokosis resulted in the burning down of several houses and properties in Nandoni, a farming community in the district.
No deaths have been recorded so far, but three persons have sustained gunshot wounds.
Reports indicate that the incident has resulted in residents of the area fleeing to neighbouring Togo for safety.
The migrating residents fear there could be a repeat of the violent clashes that ensued in the night of Monday, December 31, 2018.
Police are yet to speak on the renewed clashes, however, Member of Parliament for the area, Samuel Jabanyite, told Joy News the District Security Council had picked up intelligence last month of looming communal clashes and had initiated peace talks.
He said it was surprising that the feud had escalated violently.
The Chokosis and the Konkombas have been fighting over the ownership right of a parcel of land.
So far, no arrest has been in the latest violence.
The Chereponi District, a known hotspot in the region has very few police personnel and anytime there is trouble security forces have had to travel many hours on a very bad road to maintain calm.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs
- Who will be Ghana’s next possible IGP? Find out here
- Chinese man gets ten days in jail for giving his dogs “illegal” names
- Geddit Ghana announces winner of maiden promotion
- Zion College, Anloga celebrates 82nd speech and prize giving day