Audio By Carbonatix
One hundred and Fifteen food vendors in the Cape Coast municipality have been banned from selling their wares due to various infectious diseases they have contracted.
The Municipal Environmental Officer, Nana Poku, said 34 of the sellers were found to be suffering from tuberculosis while 81 suffered from typhoid.
He was speaking to the press in Cape Coast on Tuesday after Zoom Lion Company Limited, a sanitation company, had organised a meeting with lorry station managers.
Nana Poku said the sick people were found after various tests by hospitals confirmed their situation and that a monitoring team had been put in place to visit the banned vendors every three days to ensure that they did not violate the ban.
He said they had been asked to treat the sickness, and after confirmation from a hospital that they were well and healthy they would be allowed to sell again.
He noted that it was an offence to flout an order not to sell, due to sick¬ness, and cautioned those disobeying the order to conform.
Nana Poku said his office would continue to be vigilant to ensure that only healthy people sold to the general public.
Nana Poku was worried that sanitation offences sent to court were not given the needed attention, and that the delay in the disposal of the cases was discouraging the sanitation officers from following the cases.
Nana Poku said sanitation was everybody's business and urged all to share in the responsibility of ensuring that their surroundings were clean to ensure a healthy nation.
He also expressed concern about the sanitation in the municipality, saying that the 13 municipal health inspectors were not enough to ensure a clean environment.
He said with the elevation of the municipality to metropolitan status, it was crucial that more inspectors were employed for the efficient management of the environment.
Mrs Rhoda Donkoh, Regional Coordinator of Zoom Lion, said the company's "Education and Sanitation at the Lorry Stations" programme would be launched in Cape Coast on Friday with the distribution of 50 dustbins to the 14 stations in the municipality.
The programme seeks to keep the lorry stations clean for improved health and in preparation for Ghana 2008 in January.
Mrs Donkoh said the lorry stations were the first point of call for all, and urged the station managers to support the programme to ensure its success.
She said the neatest lorry station would be given ¢1 million as prize every two weeks for three months.
Source: Daily Graphic
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Tags:
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s new wealth window
4 minutes -
Thinking beyond risk key to building resilient institutions – Stanbic Bank executive
13 minutes -
John Boadu leads NPP National Chairman race with 27% — Global InfoAnalytics
13 minutes -
AMMREN calls for renewed investment in science, community action to fight mosquito-borne diseases
13 minutes -
Eastern Regional Coordinating Council, UNFPA train 120 parents on adolescent sexual and reproductive health
17 minutes -
Africa CDC invites Annoh-Dompreh to join Continental Immunisation Advisory Council
20 minutes -
MTN Ghana urges businesses to embed sustainability in everyday operations
22 minutes -
2026/27 GPL prize money increased to GHS3m – GFA boss Kurt Okraku
22 minutes -
Mushroom killer must stay in jail forever for ‘truly dreadful’ crime, appeal court told
23 minutes -
‘You want us to do what ministries failed to do in 70 years?’ — Goosie Tanoh defends pace of 24-Hour Economy
24 minutes -
MTN Ghana urges businesses to make sustainability a way of life, not just compliance
25 minutes -
George Geel Kutortse
31 minutes -
Ex-Zambian minister killed in security raid on opposition
31 minutes -
AG cannot represent Chief Justice in vacation trial case — Frank Davies questions AG’s role
32 minutes -
Recovery is possible — NACOC Director-General urges youth battling substance abuse to seek help
44 minutes