Two drivers’ mates who allegedly robbed a student at the University of Ghana, Legon of her mobile phone valued at GH₵3,000 have been remanded into Police custody by an Accra Circuit Court.
Emmanuel Baidoo alias Babana, 20 and Joseph Sam, 19 have been charged with conspiracy to commit crime to wit, robbery.
They pleaded not guilty before the court presided over by Mr Samuel Bright Acquah.
The accused persons are expected to reappear on November 22, 2022.
Inspector Daniel Danku prayed for the court to remand the accused persons pending further investigations into the matter whilst the Police arrested an accomplice who was at large.
Inspector Danku told the court that the complainant, Georgina Lala Lala Ehemb, is a Senegalese National and a student at the University of Ghana, Legon.
The prosecution said the accused persons live at Kaneshie and Bubuashie respectively.
On November 2, 2022, the complainant was going to deliver a parcel of kinky hair to her auntie at P2 Garden at Osu in Accra.
When the complainant reached LMI Holding Head Office, North Ridge in Accra, at about 6:30 pm, the two accused persons, and another now at large, emerged from their hideout and suddenly attacked her.
During the attack, the prosecutor said one of the robbers smashed a bottle and stabbed the complainant behind her left ear and dragged it across the chest wounding her on both parts of her body before successfully robbing her of a Xioami MI 10T pro mobile phone valued at GHC3,000.00 and bolted.
The prosecutor said the complainant who was bleeding profusely from the wounds inflicted on her by the suspected robbers raised an alarm.
Two Police officers, General Corporal Bruce James Augustus Morton and General Constable John Sasu Adjei, detailed on visibility duties at Sankara Circle, a short distance away from the scene of the crime, heard the alarm raised by the complainant and swiftly moved towards the scene on a Police motorbike.
The two accused persons, according to the prosecutor, saw the Police officers and bolted. But the Police officers pursued and arrested Baidoo in front of the Canadian Embassy.
The prosecution said Joseph Sam the second accused person quickly moved behind the security post at the Canadian Embassy and threw the complainant’s mobile phone away and took to his heels, but witnesses pursued him and arrested him at the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation bus stop heading towards Nima.
A patrol team from the Cantonments Police station arrived a few minutes later and escorted the accused persons to the Police station and a formal complaint was made.
The prosecutor said the Police issued the complainant with a medical form to seek treatment.
Later, the accused persons were escorted to the crime scene and a search was conducted by the Police around the Canadian Embassy which led to the retrieval of the Xioami Mi 10T pro Mobile phone.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Bank of Ghana upgrades one cedi coin
- Photos: Volta Regional NPP Secretary ties knot with Deputy Women’s Organiser
- Road toll to be collected electronically – Roads Minister
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Presidents must have courage to reshuffle their ministers – Kufuor
- Parliament approves 2023 Budget and Economic Policy
- Spain’s former King Juan Carlos wins partial immunity in ex-lover case
- Cristina Fernández: Argentina vice-president found guilty of corruption
- Cyril Ramaphosa: How Arthur Fraser landed South Africa’s president in trouble
- PM Express Analysis: Paying more for Water & Electricity – A conversation with PURC Executive Secretary
- 2022 FIFA WC: Morocco takes charge of the African challenge after dumping Spain
- Public servants are justified in asking for increase in salaries – Minority Leader
- Police secures court remand for three persons involved in gold scam and robbery
- Banda Khalifa: The Manhyia Saga exemplifies a toxic work environment.
- Good Shepherd R/C JHS wins Junior Science and Maths Quiz 2022
- Masantewaa Emporium represents Ghana at Runway Dubai
- Ghana Muslim Mission commissions clinic for residents at Korle-Gonno
- Delay in speech development in children can be genetic – Speech therapist
- Tanzania to spend cash on schools instead of independence day
- Security guard gunned down on Tarkwa-Banso road
- Brosankro-Aprakukrom Murder: Bereaved families appeal to IGP