Audio By Carbonatix
The 4th edition of the annual Sheikh Sharubutu Ramadan Cup has been launched in Accra, with organizers promising a much-improved competition this year.
The competition, named after the National Chief Imam and organized under his auspices, brings Zongo communities together to compete in a football competition as part of social events to mark the end of Ramadan.
Speaking at the launch yesterday, the coordinator of the tournament, Tamimu Issah, revealed that sixteen Zongo communities will participate in this year's edition which will come off a week after Eid el Fitr on June 23, 2018.
The tournament coordinator, Tamimu Issah, said the tournament has achieved its objectives of bringing Zongo communities together through football, as well as promoting friendship, peace, and discipline.
"The competition has been named after a national icon, the Chief Imam, and he represents the very objectives of the competition which are peace, togetherness, discipline, and humility. From a humble beginning of just eight communities which took part in the inaugural edition, the competition has grown rapidly with sixteen communities now involved. We are happy with the progress and we are happy with the achieved our objectives."
A representative of the National Chief Imam, Dr. Inusah Osman, said the Chief Imam was thrilled by the continuous progress of the tournament and urged both organisers and participants to continue to work hard to make the tournament better.
An official of The Royal Bank, who have been supporting the event since 2016, said the continuous support offered by the bank is in line with the vision of its late Founder, Alhaji Dr. Adamu Idrissu who okayed the bank's inaugural support for the bank in 2016.
Sheikh Aremayao, the spokesperson of the National Chief Imam advised the youth to emulate one of the exemplary characters of the Chief Imam, humility.
"I want to urge all of you to be humble because when you're humble, God will lift you up."
The launch of the 4th edition was chaired by Black Stars coach, Kwesi Appiah, who was supported by his two assistants Ibrahim Tanko and Maxwell Konadu.
Other guests present were Ahmed Abdulai an aide to the Vice President, who represented him at the launch.
The 4th edition, as usual, is being sponsored by The Royal Bank and supported by Nasco Electronics, Multi Pac Ghana Limited (producers of Perla Natural Mineral Water and 5 Star Energy Drink), Palace Shopping Mall, Afro Arab Group and Holiday Inn Hotel.
Latest Stories
-
Pope calls for an end to West Bank violence against Palestinians
4 hours -
Shipping slows through Strait of Hormuz after tanker attacks, data shows
4 hours -
Why I stopped trying to quit smoking – Omah Lay
5 hours -
‘What if sharks swallow you’ – Teni warns Burna Boy over ocean stunt
5 hours -
What’s driving men to get penis fillers, despite the risks?
5 hours -
Ngah brace fires Cameroon to historic first WAFCON crown with dominant Malawi victory
5 hours -
Ariana Grande leaves problems at home as her tour hits the UK
5 hours -
‘Ghana was the crime scene’ – the country leading the demand for slavery reparations
5 hours -
Court dismisses Nana Kwame Bediako’s fresh bid to halt $14.9m judgment
6 hours -
Air India pilot’s reported cannabis test: What it can and can’t tell investigators
6 hours -
France’s top court blocks social media ban for under-15s
6 hours -
Fery wins on return as Djokovic reveals health condition after loss
6 hours -
‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement
6 hours -
Arsenal cruise to Community Shield win against disappointing Man City
6 hours -
Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City
7 hours