Over the course of about 48 hours, rescuers pulled 5,000 refugees from boats and the waters of the Mediterranean, officials reported.
Italian and Libyan Coast Guard crews saved the refugees, who were sailing from Libya to Italy, between May 18-20.
The body of a man who drowned was also pulled from the water, Press TV reported.
With regions of sub-Saharan Africa rocked by economic hardship and violence, displaced people have been the continent. Many of the rescued refugees were treated for malnutrition when they reached support centers in Italy.
Officials estimated that as many as 1 million residents of Libya want to get on boats and leave because remaining there was no longer a safe option. According to the UN refugee agency, thousands of displaced people have been arrested and corralled into packed detention centers.
“Libya is crazy. They arrest us … two, three days no eat, no drink. They beat us,” Alseer Issa Ibrahim of Sudan told Reuters.
Filippo Grandi, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, said he was “shocked” by conditions at the centers in Libya and demanded that the refugees be released.
Nearly 47,000 refugees have fled to Italy this year, up more than 30 percent over last year. Another 1,300 refugees were missing or dead.
The International Organization for Immigration said the influx of refugees was attributable to warmer temps and seas. But even in better weather, the trip was perilous due to overcrowded boats.
The vast majority of those rescued last week were in international waters. They were taken to Italy for food and care. The rest were picked up in Libyan waters and returned to Africa.
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Fire burns shops at Madina-Ritz junction again
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- SIM card deactivation: Crowds besiege NIA centres for Ghana Card
- Baby Jet U-16 Tournament: Asamoah Gyan pays courtesy call on Sports Minister ahead of event
- Bank Managers call on government to flush out ‘black market’ operators
- Judiciary must not be seen as bias in setting timelines for cases – Pumpuni Asante
- Seun Kuti opens up on experience in ‘three-person cell’ with 30 inmates
- We use ‘second-hand’ diapers, toilet rolls during menses – Girls admit as Mace supplies free sanitary pads
- Air New Zealand weighing passengers before flying
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- Supreme Court verdict sets the rule clear going forward – Daniel Domelevo
- I have no regret serving as Auditor-General – Yao Domelevo
- It’s better late than never – Domelevo rejoices over Supreme Court ruling against forced leave
- EC sets June 27 for Assin North by-election
- 2023 AfroSport Summit: LaLiga joins conference for second straight year
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Tighten rules of Public Financial Management Act to cut budget deficit – Terkper
- Adanwomasehene inaugurates 3-unit classroom block for Adanwomase R/C Primary