Audio By Carbonatix
Eight persons who are being held over their alleged roles in the destabilisation of the country have filed for bail variation before an Accra High Court.
The eight were admitted to bail by the court after they were charged with high treason.
Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Dr Benjamin Agordzo and Bright Alan Debrah Ofosu are the only persons who have been able to execute their bail granted by the court in April, this year.
Dr Mac Palm, Donyo Kafui, Colonel Kodzo Gameli, Johannes Zikpi, WO II Esther Saan, Corporal Seidu Abubakar, Corporal Ali Solomon, and Sylvester Akankpewu have not be able to execute their bail conditions.
The 10 accused persons were admitted to a total bail sum of ¢18 million.
ACP Dr Agordzo and Col. Gameli are being held on the charge of abetment of high treason and admitted to bail in the sum of ¢1 million with two sureties, one to be justified.
Eight of the accused persons, charged with high treason and conspiracy to commit high treason, were granted ¢2million bail with two sureties to be justified.
The accused persons have denied the various charges.
During the court sitting, defence counsels for the eight accused persons indicated that an application for bail variation had been filed because the accused were unable to meet their bail conditions.
The Court adjourned the matter to June 1 for defence counsels to move their application for variation of bail.
Meanwhile the State filed its disclosures except audios and videos during a Case Management Conference.
Accused were initially charged with abetment to treason felony and treason.
The State, however, filed a nolle prosequi in the case and arraigned them on April 24, this year, on the charge of high treason, which saw three high Court judges sit over it at the High Court.
The Attorney General (AG), Mr Godfred Yeboah Dame, at the last sitting told the High Court that the accused persons were part of a group known as Take Action Ghana (TAG), a non-governmental organisation (NGO), which is alleged to have planned to embark on demonstrations against the Government and possibly take over governance.
The AG said as part of the plot, Dr Mac-Palm, who was accused of being the master mind of the plot, along with Kafui and Ofosu, planned on kidnapping the President, the Speaker of Parliament and the Chief of Defence Staff and force the President to announce his overthrow.
The AG said a map found in the possession of the accused persons showed some important installations such as the Jubilee House, the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation, Burma Camp, the 37 Military Hospital, and the National Police Training School, which had been their target.
In the case of ACP Dr Agordzo, the AG accused him of donating GH₵2,000.00 to TAG to aid its cause and he also drafted a speech for Dr Mac-Palm to be read at TAG’s planned demonstration.
Latest Stories
-
NATARAJ Art competition inspires young creativity in Ghana
21 minutes -
Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns
41 minutes -
Money can be traced in GIIF ‘Sky Train’ case – Kow Essuman fires back at Deputy AG
44 minutes -
25/26 UEFA Europa League: Unai Emery leads Aston Villa to first European trophy in 44 years
51 minutes -
Southampton lose appeal against play-off expulsion
57 minutes -
SkySat Technologies, Konica Minolta launch VIP Experience in Accra
1 hour -
Africa’s capital must power digital innovation and infrastructure – KGL Group Chair
1 hour -
Policy rate cuts won’t spur growth without cheaper bank loans – Economist
1 hour -
OBZ Group founder urges regulation of fuel sales in galamsey communities
2 hours -
Closure of Kaneshie footbridge forces traders, commuters to risk crossing highway daily
2 hours -
World Bank mission team pays courtesy call on Gender Minister
2 hours -
Aggrieved customers threaten fresh protests at Finance Ministry over unpaid locked up funds
2 hours -
‘Did Mahama lie his way to power?’ – Gold Coast Customers react to compensation delay
3 hours -
“We don’t have the money to pay” – Finance Minister tells financial sector victims
3 hours -
ORAL: Prosecution closes its case in Skytrain trial
3 hours