Audio By Carbonatix
The controversial suit brought against the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly (KMA) by Freko FD Limited over its forced take-over of the Kejetial bus Terminal has been placed before the adjudication of another high court judge.
Chief Justice Georgina Theodora Wood effected the transfer of the case following a petition by KMA against the trial judge, Justice Amo Yartey, accusing him of having vested interest in the case.
Luv Fm’s Erastus Asare Donkor told Joy News the KMA's petition to the Chief Justice was hinged on certain errors they accused Justice Amo Yartey of committing in the hearing of KMA's stay of execution of an ex-parte order to vacate the Kejetia terminal.
Before the court could hear the case on December 5 last year, lawyer for Freko FD Limited, Appiah Enchi, raised an objection explaining the Assembly is already in contempt for disobeying an earlier order to vacate the terminal.
The objection was upheld by the court and KMA was asked to purge itself of the contempt by exiting the terminal before its case could be heard by the court.
Lawyers for KMA led by Thaddeus Sory however maintained that the court should not have entertained the suit since the plaintiff had not given the KMA the mandatory one month notice before commencing the suit.
They also maintained that the order to vacate the terminal was never served on the Assembly, accusing the judge of taking sides in upholding the plaintiff's objection.
The Chief Justice therefore granted the request by transferring the case to Justice Angelina Homiah Mensah of the Commercial Division of the High Court in Kumasi.
In open court on Monday January 13, 2014, Justice Amo Yartey verbally recused himself from the case.
Lawyers of Freko were not available for comments but the spokesperson to the city mayor, Sammy Gyamfi welcomed the transfer of the case to a different judge.
"We are happy that the Chief Justice has intervened in the matter and now the matter has been transferred to another judge. It gives us that comfort that we are at a level playing field", Sammy Gyamfi intimated.
The battle between Freko FD Limited and the KMA for the Kejetia terminal subsequently resumes Monday January 20, 2014 with a change in a presiding judge.
Latest Stories
-
Advisory team of the Pan African AI Summit meets Communications Minister Sam George
5 minutes -
Gender Ministry confirms abandoned newborn rescued in Elmina, receiving medical care
7 minutes -
ECOWAS holds talks with Chiefs of Naval Staff in Accra
12 minutes -
Minister for Communication receives Assemblies of God Church delegation
17 minutes -
Sefwi Wiaso MP urges cocoa farmers to be patient amid global price volatility
24 minutes -
Housing Minister vows to resolve nationwide water shortages, assures Teshie-Nungua residents
29 minutes -
Minority raises concerns over early extension of WCTP and DWT petroleum contracts
31 minutes -
FDA clarifies viral ‘cemented beans’ video didn’t originate from Ghana
50 minutes -
Energy Minister John Jinapor holds constructive talks with Cenpower on Ghana’s power sector
50 minutes -
African AI Governance Index launches first continental AI intelligence platform
56 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack exposes gaps in Ghana’s security preparedness – Ntim Fordjour
1 hour -
Assaults on teachers will attract severe consequences – Education Ministry warns
1 hour -
Fire destroys heritage train at Ibrahim Mahama’s Red Clay Studio in Tamale
1 hour -
Government seeks to rename NIB as BNI to avoid confusion – Interior Minister Muntaka
1 hour -
High costs, no water and unemployment threatening industrial growth, says AGI president
1 hour
