Audio By Carbonatix
The end of the domestic league season was marred by tragedy when a wall and a gate collapsed at the Tata Raphael Stadium in Kinshasa
The head of African football has offered his condolences to the families of 15 fans killed on Sunday amid a stampede during AS Vita's season-ending match against TP Mazembe in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Confederation of African Football (CAF) president Issa Hayatou expressed the continental governing body's "deep sadness" at the events at the Tata Raphael Stadium in Kinshasa and has called upon the Congolese football federation to give a full report on the incident.
"I would like to express my deepest sympathy on hearing of the untimely deaths of at least 15 people during the match of AS Vita and TP Mazembe," Hayatou told CAFOnline.
"Personally, and on behalf of the members of the African football community, I should be grateful if you could extend our deepest condolences to their families, friends and loved ones.
"Further, we wish those that have been reported injured and receiving medical assistance a full recovery."
The stampede took place during injury-time with Mazembe leading 1-0, with a wall and gate collapsing under the weight of bodies. Fans of AS Vita had earlier launched objects onto the field of play, with police responding by releasing tear gas into the stands.
The governor of Kinshasa has moved quickly to set up a commission looking into the tragedy, but Hayatou has taken the opportunity to speak of Caf's resistance to violence in the game.
"I wish to re-emphasise that any acts of violence have no place in football. They must be condemned in the strongest possible terms and I urge the Fecofa (Congolese FA) and authorities in the DRC to thoroughly investigate this matter."
Latest Stories
-
Ghana hosts Kenya, Netherlands, South Africa for talks on turning climate plans into action
2 minutes -
‘Now it’s action, no talking’ – Rent Control cracks whip on hostel operators
5 minutes -
GACC, Save Our Environment Foundation train Tano South residents on corruption and accountability
7 minutes -
MOGMusic to headline Ransomed Ministries Ghana’s Total Worship 2026
10 minutes -
Multimedia Group pays courtesy call on Petrosol ahead of GSE listing
20 minutes -
Gov’t acknowledges unresolved grievances over mining damage, displacement
20 minutes -
Joy FM to host maiden Back-to-School PrayerFest ahead of new academic year
24 minutes -
Ghana must legislate minimum community development obligations for mining companies – Mireku Duker
33 minutes -
GoldBod costs could have been minimised with better planning – Prof. Bokpin
35 minutes -
GoldBod operations imposing losses on BoG balance sheet – Prof Bokpin
39 minutes -
Mining must improve lives in host communities, not just national figures – Presidency
47 minutes -
Nigeria influencer arrested after seizure of cocaine worth $28m destined for the UK
1 hour -
Gender Minister inspects nutrition training for School Feeding caterers in Northern Region
1 hour -
GoldBod to fund rehabilitation of six water treatment plants affected by mining
1 hour -
ORC challenges CSA cybersecurity sanction, says penalty was premature and procedurally unfair
1 hour