Audio By Carbonatix
Saudi Arabia is to abolish flogging as a form of punishment, according to a legal document seen by media outlets.
The directive from the Gulf kingdom's Supreme Court says flogging will be replaced by imprisonment or fines.
It says this is an extension of human rights reforms brought by King Salman and his son, the country's de facto ruler Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Saudi Arabia has been criticised over the jailing of dissidents, and the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Campaigners say Saudi Arabia has one of the worst records for human rights in the world, with freedom of expression severely curtailed and critics of the government subject to what they say is arbitrary arrest.
'Bad image'
The last time that flogging in Saudi Arabia hit the headlines was in 2015 when blogger Raif Badawi was subjected to the punishment in public, reportedly after being convicted of cybercrime and insulting Islam.
He had been due to receive 1,000 lashes in weekly beatings but global outrage and reports that he nearly died put a stop to that part of his sentence.
BBC Arab affairs editor Sebastian Usher says it was clearly bad for Saudi Arabia's image.
Now, the practice looks like it will be done away with entirely.
But waves of arrests of every type of dissident under the king and the crown prince - including of women's rights campaigners - undercut this claim, our reporter says.
Earlier on Friday, the most prominent Saudi human rights campaigner died in jail after a stroke which fellow activists say was due to medical neglect by the authorities.
Latest Stories
-
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
15 minutes -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
26 minutes -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
48 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
51 minutes -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
1 hour -
Burkina Faso attack: Desist from sharing gory images of victims – Muntaka
1 hour -
Political scientist supports NDC dual-role directive, calls for legal backing
1 hour -
GH¢5.7bn haemorrhage: Ghana’s tomato crisis exposed as Chamber of Agribusiness unveils 2030 rescue plan
1 hour -
Fifi Kwetey slams opponents of directive on dual roles as ‘greedy’ and ‘mercenaries’
2 hours -
Analyst condemns victim-shaming in Russian exploitation saga
2 hours -
Ghana’s Blue Economy in 2026: Taking actions now, leveraging blue resources for sustainable growth
2 hours -
I was once a ‘Bob no rank’; Everybody will have their turn — Afenyo to TESCON members
2 hours -
Tony Aidoo urges NDC to focus on policy communication, not personal praise for Mahama
2 hours -
Akuafoɔ Anidasoɔ: A new dawn for Ghana’s farmers
3 hours -
NTC announces eligibility criteria and registration details for 2026 GTLE 1
3 hours
